Are you a creative, self-driven engineering professional that thrives in fast-paced environments; cultivating new ideas, and collaborating with key stakeholders to expand a business? Then join one of the country’s top 25 consumer packaged goods companies, Smithfield Foods!
As part of our Engineering team, you would analyze data, draft implementation plans for production process optimization. Seeking out ways to maximize efficiencies by eliminating the waste of valuable resources that directly impact our overall operating costs. You are instrumental to the manufacturing of Smithfield, Eckrich, Nathan’s Famous, and our other product brands, to meet the needs of our customers and consumers.
The Automation and Controls Engineering Manager will be responsible for helping define and update the long-term technology roadmap of the company and leading a talented group of engineers across hardware and software disciplines to develop and design automation solutions. This role will be responsible for developing, implementing and managing the Industrial Internet of Things (IIoT) within our existing and future operations. This leader will influence and direct the overall assessment, maintenance, and upgrading of the current automation and control infrastructure. The Automation and Controls Engineering Manager will combine fundamental controls and process engineering knowledge with recent advances in automation, delivering creative solutions that solve real-world manufacturing problems. This person will work to locate external emerging and novel technologies and vet their performance to solve business needs.Core Responsibilities
- Develops and implements the manufacturing vision, strategy/technology roadmap that supports the convergence of Industrial Internet of Things (IIoT)
- Drives the right technology choices for automation and presents the technology roadmap for both immediate and long-term growth.
- Combines deep process engineering understanding and machine learning capability to create scalable controls and manufacturing solutions.
- Takes the business problems and derives to a technology solution that may encompass one or more products and services, ensuring it aligns with business objectives and fits into the technology roadmap of the organization.
- Monitors and evaluates external technology trends that could impact the company. Conducts research and case studies on leading edge automation technologies and makes determinations on the probability of implementation.
- Responsible for the development of the standard software and hardware architecture(s) for all automation projects and will work with multiple teams for coordinated implementation.
- Partner externally with food processing equipment vendors, universities, technical consulting individuals/companies to create and prove new systems and technologies.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. May perform other duties as assigned.Qualifications
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelor’s Degree from a regionally accredited four-year college or university in Engineering and 10+ years of relevant engineering experience; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 2+ years experience acting as a lead by providing training, guidance or mentoring to less experienced staff or managing processes and projects.
- 5+ years of experience in manufacturing industries with a strong focus on automation and controls design
- Experience in development of distributed, networked control systems, especially Industrial Internet of Things (IIoT) solutions
- Lean or six sigma experience (green or black belt certified preferred)
- Knowledge of engineering principles and techniques related to food processing and the meat industry, preferred.
- Ability to apply sound engineering principles to operational and design issues.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, organizational planning, teamwork, analytical reasoning and adaptability.
- Must be able to travel up to 50% of the time.
- Ability to work well with others in fast paced, dynamic environment.
- Ability to be respectful, approachable and team oriented while building strong working relationships and a positive work environment.
Work Environment & Physical Demands
Provides leadership, guidance and training to Engineering professionals
Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws.
Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and assisting in providing appropriate resolutions.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The majority of the time is spent in an office setting outside of the production plant . The plant environment will include wet or humid conditions (non-weather related), extreme cold and heat (non-weather related), working near moving mechanical parts, exposure to fumes or airborne particles, and chemicals.
- Noise level in the work environment is usually moderate but can be loud when in the production area.
Smithfield, is an equal opportunity employer committed to workplace diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, gender identity, protected veterans status or status as a disabled individual or any other protected group status or non-job related characteristic as directed by law.Careers and Benefits
To learn more about Smithfield’s benefits, visit smithfieldfoods.com/careerbenefits