To begin the application process, please enter your email address.
Company Contact Info
111 Commerce Street
Smithfield, VA 23430
Sorry, we cannot save or unsave this job right now.
Report this Job
Saving Your Job Alert
Job Alert Saved!
Could not save Job Alert!
You have too many Job Alerts!
This email address has reached the maximum of 5 email alerts. To create a new alert, you will need to log into your email and unsubscribe from at least one.
Email Send Failed!
Senior Public Relations Manager
Smithfield Foods • Smithfield, VA
Posted 21 days ago
Get facts about other applicants with a CareerBuilder Account
Are you an ambitious and creative communications professional who excels in rapidly evolving environments, brainstorming new concepts, connecting with key stakeholders, and making a demonstrable impact on business? Then join one of the country’s top 25 consumer packaged goods companies, Smithfield Foods! We have cultivated a culture that is committed to our employees, products, and sustainability. Smithfield Foods and the PR Team are continuously progressing and are seeking an innovative, self-driven communications professional!
As a PR Team member, you will assist in leveraging data metrics to develop methods to maximize the exposure of assigned brands in our portfolio through strategic communications. In representing Smithfield, Eckrich, Nathan’s Famous, or any of our brands, you will collaborate cross-functionally across the company from our brand management and sales teams to our business management operations to create engaging communications platforms to inspire usage occasions, build brand loyalty, and drive business.
Smithfield Foods is seeking a dedicated professional to work closely with the Director of Corporate Communications and PR as a highly visible member of the Public Relations team. The Senior Public Relations Manager will lead the planning and execution of brand PR plans to secure earned media by translating our brands’ business strategies into innovative, creative communication vehicles that fosters a positive image and grows business. This role will require both a hands-on and collaborative approach, partnering with various internal teams and external vendors, to ensure the smooth planning and execution of projects and programs such as brand equity building, cause marketing, media bureaus, and publicizing new product launches. While the primary role of this individual will be to lead brand PR, interest in and willingness to take on projects outside of job scope as needed is a must.Responsibilities
- Leads PR efforts in support of brand positioning and mission as a highly visible member of the PR team. Maintains an expert level of consumer PR and communication fundamentals with a passion for staying abreast of nascent trends.
- Serves as subject matter expert, thought leader, and strategic partner to brand teams.
- Develops insight-driven brand PR strategy and supporting efforts, from planning to implementation and reporting results with attention to detail, budget, deadlines, brand voice, and corporate principles, working in close coordination with brand teams and external partners as appropriate.
- Ensures KPIs are met or exceeded.
- Leads the tracking and reporting of results; analyzes the success of each effort.
- Assists the Director by developing, implementing, and maintaining processes, policies, and current best practices. Reviews and updates with regular frequency.
- Manages the production and hours of all PR contractors.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. May perform other duties as assigned.Qualifications
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited four-year college or university in Communications, Marketing, Journalism, Business, English, or related field and 8+ years of progressive experience working on corporate communications, PR, and media relations; required
- Master's degree; preferred.
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience in a position of leadership to include team development and management; required.
- Agency experience and management; preferred.
- Knowledge of CPG business and consumer-facing brand PR; strongly preferred.
- Demonstrated knowledge of commonly used concepts, practices, and procedures of PR/media relations and corporate communications, and of various media channels, trends, and strategies for print, online, broadcast, and social media.
- Demonstrated ability to translate brand goals and positioning into impactful communications, and to influence decision making on a consumer’s path to purchase.
- Internet-savvy and proficient using the latest versions of Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, and Outlook.
- Experience leading strategic planning and execution on high-functioning teams.
- Confident communicator and presenter; must have expert-level verbal and written skills.
- Demonstrated ability to organize, prioritize, and manage multiple projects simultaneously in a fast-paced environment.
- Possess a wide degree of creativity and latitude with organizational, time-management, and planning skills.
- Must be highly resourceful, adaptable, detailed, deadline driven, and flexible within a frequently changing environment.
- Self-starter who is energetic and motivated, and desires to go the extra mile.
- High degrees of professionalism, decision-making ability, judgment, tact, discretion, poise, instinct, and diplomacy.
- On-camera media experience a plus.
- Ability to work evenings, weekends, and travel extensively, approximately 40%, remain connected and be available outside of regular business hours as needed.
- Ability to work well with others in fast paced, dynamic environment.
- Ability to be respectful, approachable and team oriented while building strong working relationships and a positive work environment.
- May provide leadership and guidance to employees on the Public Relations team.
- Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws.
- Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and assisting in providing appropriate resolutions.
Smithfield is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action (EEO/AA) Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with disability, or any other protected group status or non-job related characteristic as directed by law.