You’ll enjoy the flexibility to telecommute* from anywhere within the U.S. as you take on some tough challenges.
Optum is a global organization that delivers care, aided by technology to help millions of people live healthier lives. The work you do with our team will directly improve health outcomes by connecting people with the care, pharmacy benefits, data and resources they need to feel their best. Here, you will find a culture guided by diversity and inclusion, talented peers, comprehensive benefits and career development opportunities. Come make an impact on the communities we serve as you help us advance health equity on a global scale. Join us to start Caring. Connecting. Growing together.
This position is full-time (40 hours/week). Employees are required to have flexibility to work any shift schedule during our normal business hours. It may be necessary, given the business need, to work occasional overtime or weekends.
Ability to work any shift schedule after Nesting, within the following hours of operation: 5:00am – 7:00pm Monday - Friday and 6:00am – 5:00pm Saturday, Pacific; 6:00am – 8:00pm Monday - Friday and 7:00am – 6:00pm Saturday, Mountain; 7:00am – 9:00pm Monday - Friday and 8:00am – 7:00pm Saturday, Central; 8:00am – 10:00pm Monday - Friday and 10:00am – 8:00pm Saturday, Eastern. OPEN MOST HOLIDAYS.
We offer 6 weeks of paid training (attendance and punctuality is required for successful completion of training) and to include 2-week nesting. The hours during training are Monday – Friday: 6:30am – 3:00pm Pacific; 7:30am – 4:00pm Mountain; 8:30am – 5:00pm Central; 9:30am – 6:00pm Eastern Monday - Friday. Open most holidays. Training will be conducted virtually from your home.
*All Telecommuters will be required to adhere to UnitedHealth Group’s Telecommuter Policy.
- Answer incoming phone calls each day from customers and/or health care providers (i.e. physicians’ offices, clinics) and identify the type of assistance the customer needs
- Ask appropriate questions and listen actively to identify specific questions or issues while documenting required information in computer systems.
- Contact care providers (doctor’s offices) on behalf of the customer to assist with delivery of medication to that office, advising of authorizations that may be needed, or other information we may need from health care provider.
- Assist customers in navigating UnitedHealth Group websites while encouraging and reassuring them to become self-sufficient in using our tools.
- Research complex issues across multiple databases and work with support resources to resolve customer issues and/or partner with others to resolve escalated issues.
- Help guide and educate customers on their prescription benefits, use of plan, formulary, premiums and status of orders, and claims or inquiries
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- High School Diploma / GED (or higher) OR equivalent work experience
- 1+ years of Customer Service experience
- Ability in using computer and Windows PC applications, which includes strong navigation skills and learning new and complex computer system applications
- Successfully complete Customer Service training classes, complete all class assessments with a passing score, and demonstrate proficiency of the material
- Ability to attend ALL sessions as scheduled of 6-week training (attendance and punctuality is required for successful completion of training) and to include 2-week nesting. Hours are Monday – Friday: 6:30am – 3:00pm Pacific; 7:30am – 4:00pm Mountain; 8:30am – 5:00pm Central; 9:30am – 6:00pm Eastern. OPEN MOST HOLIDAYS
- Ability to work any shift schedule after Nesting, within the following hours of operation: 5:00am – 7:00pm Monday - Friday and 6:00am – 5:00pm Saturday, Pacific; 6:00am – 8:00pm Monday - Friday and 7:00am – 6:00pm Saturday, Mountain; 7:00am – 9:00pm Monday - Friday and 8:00am – 7:00pm Saturday, Central; 8:00am – 10:00pm Monday - Friday and 10:00am – 8:00pm Saturday, Eastern. OPEN MOST HOLIDAYS
- Required to have a dedicated work area established that is separated from other living areas and provides information privacy
- Ability to keep all company sensitive documents secure (if applicable)
- Must live in a location that can receive a UnitedHealth Group approved high-speed internet connection or leverage an existing high-speed internet service
- Proficiency conflict management skills to resolve issues in a stressful situation
- Ability to listen skillfully, collect relevant information, build rapport and respond to customers in a compassionate manner
California, Colorado, Connecticut, Nevada, New Jersey, New York, Washington or Rhode Island Residents Only: The salary range for California / Colorado / Connecticut / Nevada / New Jersey / Washington / Rhode Island residents is $16.00 - $27.31. The hourly range for New York residents is $16.00 - $27.31 per hour. Pay is based on several factors including but not limited to education, work experience, certifications, etc. In addition to your salary, UnitedHealth Group offers benefits such as, a comprehensive benefits package, incentive and recognition programs, equity stock purchase and 401k contribution (all benefits are subject to eligibility requirements). No matter where or when you begin a career with UnitedHealth Group, you’ll find a far-reaching choice of benefits and incentives.
At UnitedHealth Group, our mission is to help people live healthier lives and make the health system work better for everyone. We believe everyone–of every race, gender, sexuality, age, location, and income–deserves the opportunity to live their healthiest life. Today, however, there are still far too many barriers to good health which are disproportionately experienced by people of color, historically marginalized groups, and those with lower incomes. We are committed to mitigating our impact on the environment and enabling and delivering equitable care that addresses health disparities and improves health outcomes — an enterprise priority reflected in our mission.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug - free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.
- Active Listening
- Claim Processing
- Conflict Management
- Customer Demand Planning