SGS is the global leader and innovator in inspection, verification, testing, and certification services. SGS is recognized as the global benchmark in quality and integrity. With over 89,000 employees in 130 countries and operating a network of more than 2,400 offices and laboratories, we provide services to almost every industry by assuring quality and safety of products and services.Job Description
The Assistant General Counsel, Litigation and Corporate Matters NAM manages the Litigation function for the North American region. Responsible for commercial claims and litigation in the US and Canada and ensures maximum protection of the company's legal rights. Also serves as legal expert in connection with certain subject matter areas (e.g., Data Privacy, Cybersecurity) and provides advice and assistance on an as-needed basis.
- Works closely with internal business clients and outside law firms to effectively manage litigation results and implement cost controls including resolution of issues and determining settlement values
- Responsible for managing claims and litigation, primarily in the area of commercial disputes
- Manages cases through the litigation cycle, reviews new files for coverage and liability issues, and develops a cost-effective defense strategy
- Responsible for internal reporting, tracking, and budgeting of litigated matters
- Serves as legal subject matter expert and advises certain items such as Data Privacy, Cybersecurity, etc.
- Coordinates responding to subpoenas
- Participates in special projects where the experience, ability or expertise of the attorney merits involvement
- Directs Paralegals during the provision of litigation support/subpoena responses
- Performs other duties as assigned
- J.D. degree from accredited law school and admission to NJ bar or eligibility for NJ In-house counsel license
- 5 to 10 years as a practicing attorney, preferably with both private practice and in-house experience specializing in the areas of litigation and/or transactional work within US and Canadian legal jurisdictions. Demonstrated experience with state, federal, and international privacy laws and regulations (e.g., CCPA, GDPR, etc.) or strong willingness to learn
SGS is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and as such we recruit, hire, train, and promote persons in all job classifications without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetics, status as a protected veteran, or any other characteristics protected by law.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily with or without reasonable accommodations. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required.
This job description should not be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities or requirements, but a general description of the job. Nothing contained herein restricts the company’s rights to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
If you are applying for a position within the United States and you have difficulty completing the on-line employment application because of a disability, please call
for assistance and leave a message. You will receive a call back. Please note, this phone number is not for general employment information, but is only for individuals who are experiencing difficulty applying for a position due to a disability.
- Claim Processing
- Financial Management
- Data Protection