To begin the application process, please enter your email address.
Company Contact Info
- New York, NY 10014
Sorry, we cannot save or unsave this job right now.
Report this Job
Saving Your Job Alert
Job Alert Saved!
Could not save Job Alert!
You have too many Job Alerts!
This email address has reached the maximum of 5 email alerts. To create a new alert, you will need to log into your email and unsubscribe from at least one.
Email Send Failed!
Design Specialist – Structural - Turner Engineering Group
Turner Construction • New York, NY
Posted 16 days ago
Get facts about other applicants with a CareerBuilder Account
Provide critical structural engineering analysis and input to perform technical reviews, mitigate potential design risk, identify and solve construction challenges, and generate optimization opportunities for pursuit and execution of design-build and design-bid-build systems projects.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Perform technical reviews of projects to assess constructability, examine design details, perform quantity takeoffs, and recommend construction sequencing and logistics.
- Review and evaluate project specific designs, program intent, contractual obligations, division of responsibilities, and deliverables.
- Review and assess project documentation such as drawings, basis of design documents, specifications, reports, calculations, and shop drawings.
- Analyze elements of the structural systems developed to date, establish sufficiency of design, and identify means of optimizing design components.
- Propose potential solutions to the design/construction team for design optimization, risk management challenges, and constructability improvements.
- Provide review and guidance for project non-conformances and operations issues.
- Documents structural review activities in formal report formats, technical memoranda, Bluebeam Studio sessions, and spreadsheet-based comment lists.
- Establish constructive and effective relationships with internal project team members to facilitate understanding and influence design and project development.
- Partners with linked design disciplines, e.g. geotechnical, architecture, code-compliance, building envelope and façade, MEFP, vertical transportation, acoustics, and fire to improve the coordination of design concepts.
*May perform other duties as necessary or assigned
M.S. in Civil Engineering (Structural) with a minimum of five years of industry experience as a practicing Structural Engineer; must be licensed as a Professional Engineer (Structural Engineer licensure preferred). Must have the ability to think and write in a highly structured manner while also having the required creativity to develop specialized solutions and anticipating potential challenges and opportunities. Enjoy working in an interdisciplinary team environment. Must have design experience on a diverse array of projects through all phases of design and construction. Experience with peer reviews and/or due diligence studies. Projects will be located throughout the U.S and approximately 25% travel is expected. Experience with U.S. building design codes and material specific standards. Experience with using design software for structural analysis (ETABS, RAM, SAP2000, SAFE, GSA, etc.), general collaboration software (i.e. Bluebeam Studio) and operation of 3D and BIM software (e.g. Navisworks, AutoCAD, Revit, Rhino, SketchUp). Able to effectively and clearly communicate in a professional environmental via verbal and written means. Knowledge of structural products and costs. Continued development of expertise and awareness of innovations in the industry. Experience with progressive collapse/blast resistant design, ATFP design, and seismic analysis is a big plus.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Performance of the required duties will require physical ability to climb permanent and temporary stairs, passenger use of construction personnel hoists, ability to climb ladders and negotiate work areas under construction. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus. Performing this job requires use of hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls, sit, talk and hear, stand, climb, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. Employee must occasionally lift and/or move heavy weight.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly works on-site at the construction work site where the employee is exposed to moving mechanical parts; high precarious places; fumes or airborne particles; outside weather conditions and risk of electrical shock. The noise in these work environments is usually moderate to very loud.
Turner is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer minorities / females / veterans / individuals with disabilities/ sexual orientation / gender identity. VEVRAA Federal Contractor