Combine two of the fastest-growing fields on the planet with a culture of performance, collaboration and opportunity and this is what you get. Leading edge technology in an industry that's improving the lives of millions. Here, innovation isn't about another gadget, it's about making health care data available wherever and whenever people need it, safely and reliably. There's no room for error. Join us and start doing your life's best work.(sm)
As a part of OptumHealth, OptumCare California is seeking a Chief Financial Officer.
The OptumCare CA Chief Financial Officer reports to the Regional Optum PacWest Chief Financial Officer, and partners with the executive leadership team to provide strategic leadership and direct fiscal operations for the OptumCare CA market. The CFO role is responsible for overall executive oversight of strategy, finance, reporting, general accounting, revenue cycle management, payor relations, contracting and data analytic functions of the business; in addition to building and managing a strategic and operational partnership with the larger Optum Enterprise. The ideal candidate will successfully implement and deliver solutions that leverage data, reporting and analytics to inform business decisions and achieve revenue targets.
If you are located within 60 miles of El Segundo, CA Corporate Office, you will have the flexibility to telecommute* as you take on some tough challenges. The business has offices/locations across southern California and the CFO will be expected to be in-office 3-4 days week.
- Advises Executive Leadership Team (ELT) on business strategy, priorities, financial performance and directly engages with and influences ELT to drive key decisions and resource allocation
- Defines short and long-term operational and fiscal plans which may include service demand analyses, resources availability analyses, and cost benefit analyses of proposed capital and staff expansions
- Executes against strategic, tactical, and operational goals in partnership with leadership and cross-functional partner to ensure performance improvement and financial objectives are achieved. Navigate and influence multiple cross-functional teams in a complex, matrix work environment
- Drive profitable growth ensuring the company maximizes the full potential from its markets and new ventures
- Lead the strategy, finance and analytical teams responsible for producing monthly forecasting and accruals; in partnership with FP&A and Controllership
- Develop and produce analytics to support Product Development and Business Development as needed to offer industry-leading, competitively priced
- Communicate and drive adherence to Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and the organizations financials goals and policies
- Oversees the overall policies, objectives, and initiatives of an organization's revenue cycle activities to optimize the patient financial interaction along the care continuum
- Partner with leadership team to make certain that all operational revenue functions are aligned and optimized to meet or exceed customer requirements, maximize cash collections, and minimize cost to collect
- Tracks and monitors key revenue cycle performance indicators; reports key findings and influences the leadership team, other stakeholders within the organization to improve outcomes
- Ensure internal controls, policies and procedures are consistent state and federal law, compliance plans and HIPAA
Position Skillsets & Abilities:
- Demonstrated experience and success in high growth situations, including building new teams and aligning finance with business objectives
- Expert level of proficiency working in a fast-paced matrix organization with a proven track-record of managing, prioritizing, and delivering upon multiple programs
- Proven ability to effectively advocate and problem-solve as necessary to obtain desired outcomes and meet legal and regulatory requirements
- Understanding of revenue cycle, healthcare billing to independent practice associations (IPAs), health maintenance organizations (HMOs) or other risk bearing entities
- Proven ability to work collaboratively with Legal, Compliance, Regulatory Affairs, Clinical, Accounting, IT and Operations, including the ability to proactively identify issues and execute solutions
- Well-developed written and verbal communication skills
- Poise and confidence necessary to influence and drive decisions with Executive Leadership Team
- Broad finance leadership expertise in M&A strategies and due diligence
- Background in financial modeling, near-term forecasting and longer-term budget preparation and analysis
- Broad functional and technical depth in all areas of financial planning and analysis, accounting, accounts payable, tax, strategy and overall financial management
- Competitive Base Salary
- Annual Short-Term Incentives
- Annual UHG Equity Award
- Health, Dental Vision Plans
- Deferred Compensation Plan
- 401K w/company match
- Additional benefits as outlined in Optum Leader Benefits PDF
- Work as an integral leader within a Fortune 500 company that is changing the face of healthcare
- Hybrid office/remote role
- Career Growth and Development support
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- Master’s degree in Finance, Accounting, Business Administration or a related field
- 10+ years of leadership and management experience in a finance related field (banking, healthcare finance, finance consulting, etc.)
- 5+ years of large firm consulting experience
- Reside within 60 miles of El Segundo, CA Corporate Office
- Current P&L or accountability for a book of business of $250M or greater
- Full COVID-19 vaccination is an essential job function of this role. Candidates located in states that mandate COVID-19 booster doses must also comply with those state requirements. UnitedHealth Group will adhere to all federal, state and local regulations as well as all client requirements and will obtain necessary proof of vaccination, and boosters when applicable, prior to employment to ensure compliance. Candidates must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation.
- CPA certification
- 5+ years of Controller and/or Comptroller experience
- Managed Care contracting experience
What makes an Optum organization different?
- We understand the significance of Value Base Care and our power as change agents to positively impact health disparities and iniquities
- Optum embraces inclusion and diversity and understands the significance of individual unique strengths and attributes.
- We are influencing change on a national scale while still maintaining the culture and community of our local care organizations
To protect the health and safety of our workforce, patients and communities we serve, UnitedHealth Group and its affiliate companies require all employees to disclose COVID-19 vaccination status prior to beginning employment. In addition, some roles and locations require full COVID-19 vaccination, including boosters, as an essential job function. UnitedHealth Group adheres to all federal, state and local COVID-19 vaccination regulations as well as all client COVID-19 vaccination requirements and will obtain the necessary information from candidates prior to employment to ensure compliance. Candidates must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation. Failure to meet the vaccination requirement may result in rescission of an employment offer or termination of employment
Careers with Optum. Here's the idea. We built an entire organization around one giant objective; make health care work better for everyone. So when it comes to how we use the world's large accumulation of health-related information, or guide health and lifestyle choices or manage pharmacy benefits for millions, our first goal is to leap beyond the status quo and uncover new ways to serve. Optum, part of the UnitedHealth Group family of businesses, brings together some of the greatest minds and most advanced ideas on where health care has to go in order to reach its fullest potential. For you, that means working on high performance teams against sophisticated challenges that matter. Optum, incredible ideas in one incredible company and a singular opportunity to do your life's best work.(sm)
*All Telecommuters will be required to adhere to UnitedHealth Group’s Telecommuter Policy.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug-free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.