Direct Commodity Manager - Edgewood, MD 21040
System One has a contract opportunity for a Direct Commodity Manager to support our client’s manufacturing facility in Edgewood, MD. The Direct Commodity Manager will manage the end to end supplier relationship for given commodities to include strategy development, supplier selection, contract negotiation and supplier development.
- Will hire as a temporary employee with possibility of direct status at a later date
- Local candidates only
- Ability to travel when necessary
- Must pass System One on-boarding requires prior to hire
- This position owns the end to end supplier and sourcing cycle; from supplier identification, supplier selection, quote process, contract negotiation to ongoing performance management.
- Assemble quote packages for selected commodity groups, to send out for bid to multiple suppliers, including engineering documentation, volumes, and request for quotation documentation
- Follow up with vendors to ensure quotes are received on time, and coordinate all responses to questions from vendors relating to the request for quotes and /or proposals
- Work with Engineering during new product introductions in selecting and qualifying new suppliers
- Prepare quote summaries to compare supplier quotes based on cost, delivery times and quality
- Maintain relationships with potential and existing vendors, such as coordinating vendor presentations and conference calls, and obtain purchasing reports from diversity vendors.
- Coordinate and administer review of new vendor contract agreements, assessing the performance of key vendors and developing vendor improvement plans to support the continued focus on delivering improved value.
- Identify and develop second sources for sole or single source items
- Manage strategic vendor relationship post contract award
- Measure Vendor Performance as it relates to cost, delivery times, and quality on a periodic basis
- Continuously work with strategic suppliers to reduce costs and lead times in the supply chain
- Ensure Government FAR Compliance
Education/ Training / Experience Requirements:
- •BS Engineering, Operations, or Business
- •MS Engineering Discipline or MBA
- 5 - 9 years of combined experience in manufacturing, engineering, project management, purchasing, supply chain or commodity management
- 5+ years of purchasing or supply chain experience
- SAP Experience is highly desired
Knowledge skills/ other attributes:
- Experience working for a prime US Government Contractor - including the FAR
- Must have experience in contract reviews and negotiating with suppliers
- Must have experience working with plant manufacturing processes, material & production control, and material specifications
- Must have experience managing multiple projects and tasks
- Must have excellent customer relation skills coupled with strong verbal and written communications skills
- Proficient with MS Excel, Word, and PowerPoint
- Understanding of the entire procure to pay process
Work environment is typically an office environment located on-site, within the Client’s location during normal or extended business hours. Work environment may also include employee’s residence, customer site or other location as required. Required to travel on an as needed basis.
Continuous Improvement Process
New Product Development
Six Sigma Methodology