Our Vision: We make dreams possible.
Yes, we're a student loan servicer. We're also a technology company, idea incubator, start-up accelerator, and K-12 and higher education expert. At Nelnet, we're so much more than what you think-and we're just getting started. So, no matter what you want to do in life-build codes or build brands-we're the best place to do it.
Join Nelnet as an intern and do real work that matters to our business. All Nelnet interns receive one-on-one mentorship, competitive pay, casual dress, flexible schedule, intern-specific programming, and meaningful work experience.
Apply to one of our internships today. Your career awaits.
Software Engineer Interns will enhance and support our internal and external web-based applications. Specific responsibilities include the analysis, design, coding, testing, implementation, maintenance and support of these complex business systems. Interns will contribute meaningfully to a team that builds technology products.
This position requires work in support of the Company's contract with the United States Department of Education ("ED"). As such, the United States Government requires that any applicant for this position must complete United States Government security clearance. Effective June 1, 2018, ED has informed Nelnet that security clearance applications for foreign nationals are not being accepted or processed. In light of this direction from ED, Nelnet will be unable to hire applicants without United States citizenship for such positions.
• Collaborate with technology experts
• Learn new technologies & languages relevant to the team
• Develop skills coding, testing, and evaluating technical tradeoffs
• Participate in standup meetings, sprints, and take on projects related to the team's goal
• Attend intern professional, personal, and social development events
Pursuing degree in an IT-related field including software development, computer science, or other related major.
• General knowledge of the Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC), computer information systems, and Agile approach.
• Knowledge of computers: preferably Microsoft packages and advancement in programming language learning.
• Previous experience in creating and deploying software (e.g. internship, class-based project, personal project, research opportunity, non-profit work, etc.)
• Experience solving complex problems and working through challenging requirements
**COMPETENCIES - SKILLS/KNOWLEDGE/ABILITIES:**
• Motivated and excited by technical challenges
• Passionate about collaborating with teammates and customers
• Demonstrates an eagerness to learn and enjoys helping others
• Shares new ideas, is creative and passionate about innovation
• Detail oriented and cares about creating an exceptional user experience
• Exceptional written, verbal and interpersonal skills
• Comfortable working in an agile development environment and understands on time/within-budget principles.
Pay - $18-$24 dependent upon year in school and location
Nelnet is an Equal Opportunity Employer, complies with Executive Order 11246, and takes affirmative action to ensure that qualified applicants are employed, and that employees are treated during employment, without regard to race, color, religion/creed, national origin, gender, or sex, marital status, age, disability, use of a guide dog or service animal, sexual orientation, military/veteran status, or any other status protected by Federal or State law or local ordinance.
Qualified individuals with disabilities who require reasonable accommodations in order to apply or compete for positions at Nelnet may request such accommodations by contacting Corporate Recruiting at
or [ Email address blocked ] - Click here to apply to Intern - Software Engineer - Java
Nelnet is a Drug Free and Tobacco Free Workplace.
You may know Nelnet as the nation's largest student loan servicer - but we do more than that. _A lot more._ We're also a professional services company, consumer loan originator and servicer, payment processor, renewable energy innovator, and K-12 and higher education expert (and that's just a shortlist). For over 40 years, we've been serving our customers, associates, and communities to make dreams possible.
EEO Info ([ Link removed ] - Click here to apply to Intern - Software Engineer - Java
| EEO Letter ([ Link removed ] - Click here to apply to Intern - Software Engineer - Java
| EPPA Info ([ Link removed ] - Click here to apply to Intern - Software Engineer - Java
| FMLA Info ([ Link removed ] - Click here to apply to Intern - Software Engineer - Java
- Agile Methodology
- Attention To Detail
- Information Technology