To begin the application process, please enter your email address.
Company Contact Info
- Newport News, VA
Sorry, we cannot save or unsave this job right now.
Report this Job
Saving Your Job Alert
Job Alert Saved!
Could not save Job Alert!
You have too many Job Alerts!
This email address has reached the maximum of 5 email alerts. To create a new alert, you will need to log into your email and unsubscribe from at least one.
Email Send Failed!
Cargo Surveyor – Newport News, VA
SGS North America • Newport News, VA
Posted 20 days ago
Get facts about other applicants with a CareerBuilder Account
Responsible for the conduct of marine cargo draft surveying/inspection services for our branch operation, maintaining the SGS reputation for excellence by monitoring the quality of surveying methodologies, surveying activities performed for SGS clients, and insuring the implementation of quality of service goals for marine field inspections. Conduct marine field inspection services. Specifically, the Marine Surveyor is responsible for the following described duties:
(1) Performing vessel draft surveys, barge surveys, on/off hire condition surveys and product inspections for vessels carrying a variety of products, mainly coal and fertilizers
(2) Utilizing knowledge of ship construction, stability, terms and routines, as well as SGS's standard inspection and quality management procedures to conduct marine draft surveys;
(3) Using sophisticated draft surveying techniques (draft immersion) to calculate quantities of cargo loaded or discharged from vessels, taking into account any changes in weight that may take place during cargo operation;
(4) Utilizing SGS standard methods and reporting procedures to draft survey reports, including certificates of weight, certificates of analysis, and certificates of hold cleanliness and tightness;
(5) Providing reports to clients in standard format and in accordance with corporate quality programs, policies and procedures3
Must have a secondary education degree/certifications in marine operations or a related fields, plus two (2) years of experience in the job offered or in a related occupation.
In lieu of the relevant Bachelor’s degree, the company will accept any combination of education, training and/or experience which is deemed the equivalent of a Bachelor’s degree or higher by a reliable credential evaluation service or from a Professor in the specialty at an accredited college or University, which experience should include (but not be in addition to) the experience described below.
Experience must include two (2) years of experience with performing marine surveys, including vessel draft surveys, barge surveys, on/off hire condition surveys, and product inspections for vessels carrying a variety of dry bulk cargo; two (2) years of experience utilizing draft surveying techniques, including draft immersion, to calculate quantities of cargo loaded or discharged from vessels, taking into account any changes in weight that may take place during cargo operation; one (1) year of experience overseeing cargo sampling and analysis and inspecting cargo holds. Must also have the ability to think critically using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to such problems.
• To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily with or without reasonable accommodations. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
• This job description should not be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities or requirements, but a general description of the job. Nothing contained herein restricts the company’s rights to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
• SGS is an EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability employer.
Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, religion, national origin, sex, protected veteran status or disability.
If you are applying for a position within the United States and you have difficulty completing the on-line employment application because of a disability, please call 201-508-3149 for assistance and leave a message. You will be called back shortly. Please note, this phone number is not for general employment information, but is only for individuals who are experiencing difficulty applying for a position due to a disability.