[ Link removed ] - Click here to apply to Human Resources Director is a liberal arts college for women of consequence, located in the foothills of Virginias Blue Ridge Mountains approximately 12 miles north of Lynchburg and 54 miles south of Charlottesville. Founded in 1901, the College boasts a modern core curriculum focused on womens leadership in the 21st century and undergraduate programs in the arts, sciences and humanities, as well as a Master of Arts in Teaching. It is one of only two womens colleges in the United States with an ABET-accredited engineering degree. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, Sweet Briar College is committed to enhancing our community and encourages applications from qualified individuals with varied backgrounds, experiences and ideas who would increase the diversity of the College.
Job Title: Director of Human Resources
Reports To: The President
Job Summary/Objective: The Director of Human Resources is the senior HR officer responsible for facilitating effective employment and engagement of the colleges human capital. The Director of Human Resources will create and implement plans that assure acquisition and retention of high-caliber talent, including execution of innovative total compensation strategies. The Director of Human Resources is an experienced, emotionally intelligent change agent and thought leader, with a keen sense of people management strategies. The Director is hands on with responsibility for benefits and payroll administration; but also serves as a strategic partner to leaders across the campus. The Director of Human Resources will develop and adjust HR policies to integrate the Colleges goals with its legal, regulatory, and ethical responsibilities. The Director will be a credible activist, providing guidance and support to all constituents including the Presidents Cabinet. The Director of Human Resources must also demonstrate progressive leadership as the colleges diversity officer by nurturing a culture of honesty, valuing differences, and collaboration among all members of the Sweet Briar community.
Payroll Coordinator and HR Generalist
- Provide leadership in establishing and maintaining a College culture that fosters honest communications, collaboration, and collegiality
- Develop and implement effective recruiting and retention strategies consistent with budgetary guidelines
- Responsible for robust and effective onboarding program for all new hires
- Design and implement compensation programs that support retention of top talent, and oversee salary administration
- Oversee and establish diversity, training, leadership, and professional development framework trough professional development and ad-hoc training sessions.
- Serve as the Deputy Title IX Coordinator
- Oversee payroll, compensation plans, benefits, recruitment, training and development, and the student employment program
- Manage employee relations issues within all staff departments, and collaborate with the Academic Dean on faculty issues as appropriate; aiding with the successful retention of high-caliber faculty
- Assist supervisors in conducting regular performance management reviews and developing Performance Improvement Plans (PIP)
- In consultation with senior leadership, establish plans for management succession; develop and manage the success of Individual Development Programs (IDP) for recognized high potential employees
- Develop and oversee comprehensive and innovative benefit plans that support retention of top talent, including health and welfare plans, various pension and retirement plans
- Assure that all HR policies are compliant with applicable legal, state and other regulatory requirements and monitor practices to maintain compliance
- Develop and implement fair, consistent HR Policies throughout the College including updating policies and employee handbooks, that are consistent with and support the College culture and values
- Ensure accurate and compliant maintenance of all human resources records including employee documents and payroll-related support records
- Direct investigations of reports of employee misconduct or policy infractions; provide recommendations and leadership for effective resolutions
- Prepare, analyze, and report HR benchmarks to evaluate the success of HR practices
- Complete required reporting for IPEDS, SACS, and CUPA
- Respond to Office of Civil Rights, EEOC, and any employee relations related entities
- Collaborate with Dean of Student Life on student conduct issues
Skills Knowledge and Abilities:
- Bachelors degree in Business; MHRM, MBA, or MPA preferred
- Additional HR/Benefits certifications are beneficial but not required: SPHR or SHRM-SCP Certification desired but no required and/ or Certified Employee Benefits Specialist (CEBS) and/or Certified Payroll Professional (CPP)
- Minimum of 7 years of professional human resources experience, including 5 years of progressive HR leadership experience
- Broad knowledge in all aspects of human resource general management, including compensation/benefits, recruiting, employee relations, personnel administration and legal compliance
- Strong payroll processing and compliance knowledge; prior experience with Paycom highly desirable
- Exceptional oral and written communications skills that are effective across campus
- Sound business and financial knowledge; astute budgeting skills and financial reporting
- High level of systems proficiency including Microsoft Office products, Payroll/HRIS systems required; prior experience with ELUCIAN (BANNER) System is a plus
Required Professional Attributes:
- Leadership qualities that support collaborative culture
- Excellent judgment and high integrity with experience in leading change
- Positive and approachable interpersonal style, able to earn trust among colleagues and senior leadership
- Manage with a commitment to the long-term sustainability of the College
Work Environment: Traditional office environment, primarily indoors.
Physical Demands: Extensive computer use required; extended periods of sitting/standing may be required.
Travel: Less than 10% for travel and/or conference attendance or training
Relocation: Limited reimbursement of moving; rental housing potentially available on campus.
Deadline for Submission: Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Other Duties: This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee. Other duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
- Certified Employee Benefit Specialist
- Certified Urologic Physician's Assistant