At SNC’s Space Systems Group (SSG) we are not only the creator of the Dream Chaser® spacecraft, but also the designer and manufacturer of rocket engines and components, systems that sustain life in deep space, as well as systems and satellites that improve life here on Earth. The work of our Space Systems team not only supports the U.S. government (including NASA), but also commercial customers and international organizations. Learn more about SSG
Do you enjoy designing and developing innovative solutions to solve tough problems? Join our team to deliver technological solutions in a rapid and agile production environment. Our Mechanical engineers research, design, develop, test, certify, deploy and improve cutting edge products and services. These cover a very wide range from advanced mission payloads and electronic systems through highly integrated aircraft to orbital and space exploration systems. You'll conceptualize and deliver complex mechanical structures and systems and your technical duties include the design and development of new products and processes throughout the product lifecycle.
- Understand, plan, and execute technical activities in accordance with SNC policies, procedures, and work instructions and specific Customer requirements
- Read and interpret blueprints, technical drawings and schematics
- Broad knowledge of Systems Engineering, Spacecraft & Aero, and other engineering disciplines a must
- Experience with SolidWorks and Creo programs as well as structural analysis tools and add-ons required
- Ability to lead an engineering team, take the initiative and work on a variety of simultaneous projects and programs in a fast paced environment is required, as well as working an individual contributor occasionally.
- Originate specifications, control documents, verification and validation plans, procedures, reports, or other documentation in support of design and development activities
- Work with other Engineers to implement operating procedures, resolve system issues and provide technical information
- Prepare material for, and conduct, periodic design reviews
- Ensure conformance of products with Engineering design and performance specifications
- Execute engineering design and development activities consistent with Customer quality, cost, and schedule requirements
- Conduct research that test and analyze the feasibility, design, operation and performance of equipment, components and systems
- Estimate costs and submit bids for Engineering
Bachelor's of Science degree in Mechanical Engineering or related discipline and typically 6 or more years of relevant experience
6+ years relevant years experience.
Practical knowledge of engineering principles and practices
Experience with Computer Aided Engineering tools
Familiarity working in multi-disciplinary design and development teams
Understanding of applying and interpreting Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing (GD&T) per ASME Y14.5
Experience in Engineering Simulation such as Finite Element structural Analysis (FEA), Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD), and Thermal Analysis
Background in the Aerospace and Defense Industry
Knowledge of industry-standard mechanical design principles, to include, but not limited to parametric design, model-based definition, material hardware selection, manufacturing, and production processes
- The ability to obtain and maintain a Security Clearance may be required. [ Link removed ] - Click here to apply to Mechanical Engineer III - Space Systems Group
- Frequently walk, sit, stand, climb stairs and steps
- Frequently repeat same hand, arm, and finger motion many times to include finger and hand dexterity
- Rarely lifting or carrying up to 20 lbs.
- Rarely exposed to outdoor elements (high/low temperatures, sun, rain/snow, etc.)
- Rarely exposed to fumes or hazardous chemicals/materials
- Rarely exposed to loud noises
To conform to U.S. Government export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
At Sierra Nevada Corporation (SNC) we deliver customer-focused technology and best-of-breed integrations in the aerospace and defense sectors. SNC has been honored as one of the most innovative U.S. companies in space, a Tier One Superior Supplier for the U.S. Air Force, and as one of America’s fastest-growing companies. [ Link removed ] - Click here to apply to Mechanical Engineer III - Space Systems Group
Sierra Nevada Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Employer
– Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran, or any other protected status
pursuant to applicable local, state or federal law, ordinance or regulation.
Engineering Design Process
Computational Fluid Dynamics