Skanska USA Civil West California District is looking for qualified intern candidates seeking to gain professional experience in the field of Heavy Civil Construction (transit, transportation, tunneling, bridge), Civil Engineering and Construction Management for the 2023 Summer Internship Program.
Summer internships are typically 12 -14 weeks in duration. Interns may work up to 40 hours per week. Internships will begin in May or June 2023 depending upon the location, assignment and intern availability.
Intern positions may include Office or Field Engineering, Cost Engineering, Electrical Engineering (specific to transit systems), Safety Engineering, Preconstruction and Estimating on a variety of Heavy Civil transportation and transit projects. Interns assist and support project or department supervisors by performing routine daily administrative and project related activities; gathers information and assists in coordination and completion of tasks.
What you'll do:
* Be flexible, willing to learn and ask questions!
* Assist with coordination of project activities as directed (in office or on project site as need)
* Performs estimating or accounting activities as requested with assistance
* Attend project meetings as required
* Performs other duties as assigned
* Conduct personal and program evaluation
* Prepare and present final presentation at close of internship
What we're looking for:
* Knowledge of basic phases of construction projects.
* Knowledge of mathematics functions (geometry, basic algebra and basic accounting).
* Understanding of MS Office suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and Outlook are preferred.
* Prior experience with computer programs such as AutoCAD, Blue-Beam or SharePoint may be helpful.
* Prior introduction or general understanding of plan/spec reading is a plus.
* Ability to perform work in a timely, professional and efficient manner while effectively communicating with co-workers, supervisors, clients, subcontractors and other third parties.
* Ability to present information, written or verbally, in a clear and understandable manner.
* Ability to work with others in a team environment, exercising effective interpersonal skills.
* Ability to learn and adapt quickly to fast paced, deadline driven environment.
* Ability to comply with all company policies, practices and standards of performance.
* Ability to understand and follow directions.
* Qualified Intern candidates are typically full-time students enrolled at a college or university with junior or senior status who are pursuing an undergraduate or graduate degree in a field of study such as Construction Management; Engineering; Mechanical Engineering; Civil Engineering or related fields. Proof of student enrollment required.
Work Environment/Job Conditions may include:
This job may be performed in an office environment or on a project site and requires frequent sitting (often working with a computer), frequent walking, standing, bending and reaching. Due to computer usage there may be repetitive motions of the hands and wrists. She/he must be able to navigate the jobsite and must comply with all company safety requirements in the office and on the jobsite.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by persons assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be a complete list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified. Duties and responsibilities may be added or changed as deemed appropriate by management at any time.
Skanska is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to status as a protected veteran or a qualified individual with a disability, or other protected status, such as race, religion, color, national origin, sex, age.
Skanska is one of the world's leading construction and development companies. Skanska's core operations in the U.S. include building construction, civil infrastructure and developing self-financed commercial properties. In 2020, construction in the U.S. generated $6.5 billion in revenue, and as a developer in the U.S., Skanska has invested a total of $2.8 billion in commercial and multi-family projects. With U.S. headquarters in New York City, Skanska has 29 offices with 7,600 employees nationwide. An industry-leading innovator in both safety and project execution, Skanska offers competitive solutions for traditional and complex assignments that build a more sustainable future for our customers and communities. Global revenue of parent company Skanska AB, headquartered in Stockholm and listed on the Stockholm Stock Exchange, totaled approximately $17.2 billion in 2020.
Search Firm and Employment Agency Disclaimer
Skanska USA Human Resources ("Skanska HR") provides HR services to the Skanska business units within the U.S.A. including Skanska USA Civil Inc., Skanska USA Building Inc., Skanska USA Commercial Development Inc. and Skanska Infrastructure Development Inc. (collectively "Skanska USA"). As such, Skanska HR is the sole authorized representative of Skanska USA to execute any agreements with search firms, employment agencies or any employment vendor ("Vendor"). As a condition precedent to any entitlement for payment, a Vendor shall have both (1) Skanska USA Placement Agreement, and (2) an Engagement Job Order executed by an authorized Skanska HR representative. Absent the properly executed documents, Skanska HR shall have no obligation to make payment to the Vendor. Verbal or written communications from any employee of Skanska USA business units shall not be considered binding obligations. All resumes whether unsolicited or solicited shall be considered property of Skanska HR.
- Auto Cad
- Civil Engineering
- Construction Management