In this role, Corporate Finance provides internal clients and senior management with independent, sound financial analysis of the Bank's large capital investment opportunities, enabling more profitable business decisions. The group adds value by partnering with our internal clients to promote a deeper understanding of the financial implications of each project. We represent the interests of the shareholders and seek to ensure the most profitable investment of their capital. The analyst will be responsible for coordinating projects, creating an analysis, and preparing summary analysis. As a member of Corporate Finance, the analyst will also assist with M&A transactions and targets as part of a team effort.Primary Responsibilities:
Supervisory/ Managerial Responsibilities:
- Value, internal investments proposed throughout the Bank. Perform various levels of detailed, interpretative financial analysis utilizing complex modeling scenarios/activities
- Work in collaboration with business groups to provide insightful analysis regarding the proposed investment and resulting impacts.
- Coordinate all aspects of the process, including working with the various business units' management
- Promote a disciplined investment culture with internal clients
- Ensure a consistent approach - Same analytic philosophy regardless of project origin
- Analysis regarding potential merger and acquisition opportunities for the company, including assessment of implications for corporate strategy and recommendations;
- Assisting with the evaluation of potential acquisition opportunities, including coordination of due diligence efforts which involve extensive interaction with various groups throughout the bank
- Conducting research and analyses of industry and peer bank data; Keeping apprised of peer activities including financial results, acquisition related activities, and capital actions
- Enhance the sustainability & documentation of assigned tasks/processes
- Uses judgment based on the analysis of information to identify meaningful information
- Demonstrate a working knowledge of finance and accounting concepts through the aggregation of financial data
- Display foundational understanding of M&T's financial statements; including awareness of key drivers/trends in major Balance Sheet and Income Statement line items
- Participate in training and development opportunities across Finance and among supported businesses
- Understand and adhere to department timelines and deliverables
- Understand and adhere to the Company's risk and regulatory standards, policies and controls in accordance with the Company's Risk Appetite. Identify risk-related issues needing escalation to management.
- Promote an environment that supports diversity and reflects the M&T Bank brand.
- Maintain M&T internal control standards, including timely implementation of internal and external audit points together with any issues raised by external regulators as applicable.
- Complete other related duties as assigned.
May train junior staffEducation and Experience Required:
Bachelor's degree and a minimum of 2 years of experience OR Associate's degree and a minimum of 4 years of experience in accounting, auditing, operations or financial institutions
Good knowledge of finance and accounting concepts + basic knowledge of banking industry
High level of PC competencies (Excel, PowerPoint, Word, Access. Data visualization or data querying applications are a plus.)Education and Experience Preferred:
Bachelor's degree in Finance or Accounting or related field
Interest in Corporate Finance including valuation, M&A, Investor Relations and Capital Management
Strong technical aptitude and advanced financial modeling skills.
High level of PC competencies (Excel, PowerPoint, Word, Access) and other applications as necessary.
Excellent analytical skills.
Strong verbal and written communication skills.
Deadline oriented, and results driven.
In-depth knowledge of job responsibilities and departmental procedures and policies.
Ability to manage multiple projects at one time and prioritize workflow as necessary
CPA a plus
Investment banking experience a plus