As the Associate Category Manager, at the North West Company International (NWCI), you achieve sales, inventory turns and gross profit targets in your assigned department. Your leadership will build category strategies, and vendor alliances and programs that create long-term health of merchandise. If you have experience delivering market share targets and building consumer loyalty this opportunity is for you!
Joining NWCI gives you the opportunity for growth and development throughout the company, an attractive and competitive salary and benefits package, and to be part of a dynamic and diverse culture.
NWCI is a leading retailer to under-served rural communities and urban neighborhood markets in the following regions: Northern Canada, Western Canada, rural Alaska, the South Pacific islands, and the Caribbean. Our stores offer a broad range of products and services with an emphasis on food. Our value offer is to be the best local shopping choice for everyday household and local lifestyle needs. Check out northwest.ca for more information.
• Assist the Category Manager in conceiving, developing and executing long-range, annual and seasonal category strategies;
• Incorporate overall positioning, target market, pricing, merchandise mix, merchandise sourcing and replenishment, presentation guidelines, advertising, and promotion;
• Create and manage assortments for assigned merchandise departments and store positioning strategies with input by the Category Manager;
• Ensure that sourcing decisions maximize category performance while reflecting the full costs of handling, delivering and selling;
• Evaluate and select vendor partners for assigned merchandise departments;
• Negotiate cost, terms and special volume incentive allowance agreements (co-op advertising, display allowances and volume rebates;
• Coordinate advertising and merchandising activities for assigned merchandise departments;
• Create and maintain item integrity, including both cost and pricing;
Desired Skills Experience:
Minimum 3 years retail experience in supervisory role; Undergraduate degree in business or related field; Extensive MS Office Suite experience, including above average knowledge of Excel; Profit and Loss, budgeting and operating statement experience; coupled with financial analysis capabilities; Strong verbal and written communication, interpersonal skills and experience with vendor negotiation; Strong communication skills, both verbal and written; Ability to problem solve complex issues; Strong prioritizing and mathematical skills; Strong attention to details and time management Strong time management and adherence to both Category and Company goals and deadlines; and Ability to set priorities based on workload.
Positions will be advertised externally; however internal candidates will receive first consideration based on qualifications. Employees are encouraged to bring forward applications of external candidates that meet the qualifications of this position.
A competitive salary is being offered along with opportunities to learn, develop and advance throughout the organization. We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Location: Anchorage, Alaska
Reports to: Category Manager