Ameris Bank is a high-performing community bank providing an exceptional customer experience with well trained, empowered employees. At Ameris, we look outside conventional wisdom and processes to find new answers. This means cutting red tape, empowering our people to make decisions at the local level and creating clear paths and easy touchpoints. We represent energy and passion, a steady strength that is bold and assertive, creativity in thinking and problem solving, a scrappy determination and nimble approach to getting things done, a good natured, genuine and approachable way of serving each other and our customers. We look forward to the future, and what this means for you, if you join our team.
Perform quality audit services to all subsidiaries through identifying risks to the Bank and/or customers, executing audit procedures with minimum supervision to test internal controls, and assessing management effectiveness of the system of internal control. We are a publicly traded company in a highly regulated industry; we have approximately $17 billion in assets, operate over 150 retail bank branches across 5 Southeastern states, have a significant residential mortgage business, as well as other specialty lending functions, and employ approximately 2,800 people.
Essential Functions, Duties, and Responsibilities:
- Participate in entrance and exit conferences with audit clients.
- Assist with the audit planning process (walk-throughs, documenting process understandings, creating Risk and Control Matrix, and designing test plan).
- Design audit procedures, techniques, and sample approach and sizes that support the accurate assessment of the effectiveness of internal controls.
- Execute audit procedures, perform high quality analysis, use appropriate general and audit specific technology, provide sufficient audit evidence, and conclude on the adequacy and effectiveness of the system of internal controls; compliance with applicable laws, regulations, policies, and procedures; and the reasonableness of financial data.
- Gather relevant business, regulatory, process, and system information; validate/update process flows, risks, and controls; prepare accurate, complete, clear, and timely audit evidence that reflects an ability to identify risks and independently assess the design of internal controls.
- Draft potential audit report comments indicating the condition, cause, impact and risk. Propose recommendations to Senior Auditor, Management and appropriate stakeholders in a timely manner. Discuss deficiencies with management to validate findings and obtain explanations during fieldwork.
- Assist and support external auditors and regulators and participate on project teams as assigned.
- General internal audit activities – time reporting, continuing education, professional and civic organization participation, general office admin activities.
- Ability to travel as needed.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Competencies:
- Good understanding of Internal Controls
- Solid GAAP, SOX, COSO knowledge
- Good Change Management skills
- Intermediate Written and oral communication skills
- Solid Consulting and Negotiation skills
- Professional presence and demeanor
- Good Critical Thinking skills
- Must have strong active listening, assimilation of information, analytical, communication, and judgment skills
- Personal time management skills, initiative, commitment to high quality, and flexible/adaptability attributes
- Ability to handle confidential and propriety information
- Ability to identify, analyze, and solve complex issues quickly with logic and reason
- Ability to work with minimum supervision, determining when to act independently and when to refer situations to superiors
Industry and Work Experience:
- 1-3 years of experience
- Banking industry experience highly preferred
- Bachelor’s degree required; Accounting or Finance major preferred
The above job description is meant to describe the general nature and level of work being performed; it is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required for the position.
All job requirements are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities. Some requirements may exclude individuals who pose a direct threat or significant risk to the health and safety of themselves or other employees.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)