This position is located in the United States with oversight from Office of Program Management – Ministry of Interior (OPM-MOI) in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia.
The Kingdom of Saudi Arabia (KSA) Ministry of Interior (MOI), General Directorate for Civil Defense (GDCD), and the United States Department of State (Department of State) will build an advisory and mentoring program with the goal of developing capacity for various civil defense missions in Saudi Arabia. The project will provide services through advice and mentorship regarding the inculcation of methodologies and best practices in the areas of fire and rescue operations, emergency management, training and curriculum development, planning, safety and prevention, and information-technology and automation.
The project will assist the GDCD (also referred to as “the sector”), to apply for accreditation in order to award internationally recognized certifications to qualifying personnel. The objective of this project is to deliver advisors and instructors capable of providing guidance to the sector on how to develop an accredited fire service operations certification system. Once accredited, the sector will provide graduates of GDCD’s Civil Defense Institute internationally recognized certifications acknowledging their professionalism in fire service operations while improving the overall effectiveness of Civil Defense in Saudi Arabia.
The incumbent will serve as the Civil Defense Training Coordinator to both sides of the bilateral program and a critical member of the US team. As such, the applicant is the senior US representative for all project training coordination activities to the Department of State. This training may include emergency management training, fire service operations, and search and rescue training with both government and private sector partners. This position is one of the most important roles to project and mission success.
- Reports to Civil Defense Project Manager
- Under the direction of the Civil Defense Project Manager, the Civil Defense Training Coordinator oversees the delivery of US-based training courses. May audit deliverables of training products on a scheduled basis to ensure they meet defined learning objectives and OPM-MOI guidelines and prepares reports documenting the audits for Department of State management.
- Actively participates in and/or coordinates efforts and meetings between KSA based project team members, potential implementing agencies, universities and centers of excellence that will assist the MOI to further project planning and execution efforts.
- Prepares the After-Action Report(s) (AAR) provided by the OPM-MOI-US-Program Director (or their designee) for delivery to the Civil Defense Project Manager.
- Assists the Civil Defense Project Manager and advisors in the preparation of position paper and action memoranda and the development of training delivery policy for senior GDCD management.
There are no supervisory duties.
Education and/or Experience:
- Minimum of 15 years’ experience in fire service operations, public safety, or emergency management.
- An experienced training coordinator with over 15 years in firefighting, search and rescue, first responder training, or emergency management operations.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge and expertise in curriculum development, facilitation and instruction of Critical Incident Management (CIM), Emergency Management/Emergency Operations Center (EOC).
- Subject Matter Expert with facilitation and experience in instruction on the application of the Incident Command System (ICS) and/or the National Incident Management System (NIMS) to government and private sector.
- Ability to coordinate training efforts between the US and KSA is critical.
- Ability to influence employees of Saudi Arabian and US Government organization to cooperate in the pursuit of common goals.
- Preferred qualifications as a senior member of a career fire protection service provider, senior crisis and emergency management consultant/coordinator, and/or subject matter expert in emergency management and fire administration.
- Knowledge of emergency management, emergency preparedness, crisis management, and fire service training.
- Knowledge and experience in training delivery and administration.
- Knowledge of Homeland Security Exercise and Evaluation Program (HSEEP).
- Ability to effectively work independently, as part of a team, in the resolution of conflicting views to promote cooperation and support for national security objectives.
- Ability to work as a team in the resolution of conflicting view to promote cooperation and support for national security objectives as it pertains to “Civil Defense”.
- Ability to lead, plan, and organize team activities, prioritize and schedule work, efficiently allocate assigned resources, meet deadlines, work under pressure, and achieve desired results.
- Ability to identify project requirements, establish objectives, develop alternate course of action, present policy options, and coordinate execution of policy decisions.
- Ability to communicate effectively in the English language orally and in writing, defend recommendations, negotiate solutions, and represent OPM-MOI in a variety of fora.
- Experience in multi discipline crisis response to include command and control operations.
- Experience in living and/or working in a multi-cultural environment abroad. Cross-cultural sensitivity is crucial with flexibility and patience as strong character traits.
- Working knowledge of MS Office applications (e.g., Word, Excel, Access, Outlook, PowerPoint, etc.).
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations:
MRPT Level Required
- Must be able to successfully complete a U.S. government administered investigation for an MRPT (Moderate Risk Public Trust).
- US Citizenship is required
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to be able to occasionally stand; walk; sit; use hands and/or fingers to handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; operate vehicles or office equipment; reach with hands and arms; climb stairs; balance; stoop; kneel; talk or hear; taste or smell. The employee must occasionally lift and move up to 75 pounds. Specific vision abilities require by the job include close vision and distance vision.
This position is a CONUS position. The potential for domestic and international travel may be required based on mission requirements and business demands.
A current valid U.S. Passport may be required.
General office environment, with some hands on, practical training.