New Flyer of America – North America’s largest transit bus, motor coach manufacturer and parts distributor is seeking a Driver (Vehicle Innovation Center) to join its growing international team.
Join us as we continue advancing innovation and sustainable transit solutions that connect people with places. With 31 locations across the U.S. and Canada, and over 85 years of experience manufacturing buses, New Flyer is building on a solid foundation to drive North America forward with progressive transit technology that serves communities and makes cities smarter.
Don’t settle for a job when you can build an impactful and exciting career.
The Driver for the Vehicle Innovation Center will perform electric bus demonstrations for visitors and customers (on and off-site with New Flyer representatives). The driver must maintain a CDL Type A license, and must be willing to obtain CDL Type B license. Must be capable of driving a semi-truck transporting the demo bus to sites throughout North America. The position requires a combination tractor-trailer CDL and the ability to drive the tractor-trailer over-the-road and in metropolitan environments, as well as drive the demonstration bus. The Driver must enthusiastically interact with customers, representing New Flyer professionally with transit operators, executives, government officials, and other VIPs.
What you will do:
- This position requires a CLASS A driver license with combination tractor-trailer equipment hauling experience.
- Maintains CDL on an ongoing basis to all legal requirements.
- Strong knowledge of heavy-duty vehicle systems and driver controls, and the aptitude to train less experienced operators.
- Able to travel for off-site business activity up to 75 percent over any 90 period (50 percent travel likely over periods of time).
- Loads transit buses and coaches on the flatbed trailer.
- Restrains the bus/coach onto the trailer for the over transit, and unloads the bus at destination site.
- Safely demonstrate electric transit buses and coaches (including 60 foot articulated buses) in dense urban traffic conditions.
- Reports mechanical and electrical problems to the Service Technician.
- Maintains vehicles, clean and tidy, and without defects to New Flyer defined standards.
- Performed pre-tip, en-route and post-trip inspection of vehicle.
- Records hours of service, distance travelled and fuel expenditure.
- Maintains driver logbooks and complies with all legal requirements.
- Follows all appropriate traffic laws.
- Demonstrates battery charging as needed – plug-in and overhead fast-charge.
- Follows all company related safety provisions and policies.
- Provides support to VIC Operations manager and VIC staff as needed for customer visits, tours and events. If there are off-weeks requiring no Vehicle Innovation Center or off-site demonstrations, the Driver may be assigned to the Anniston Plant Manager as needed.
- Must be able to travel on short notice.
- Experience with commercial driving, combination vehicles, and supporting front-line customer service related tasks and activities.
- Teaching and Training ability.
- Presentation skills.
- Problem Solving Skills
- Strong Communication Skills. Proficiency in written and verbal communications.
- Ability to function in a dynamic environment.
- Organization skills
- Ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with internal and external customers.
- New Flyer is an EEO/AAP/Female/Minority/Disabled/Vets Employer
- *Travel is required for this position*
Apply to this job.
Think you're the perfect candidate?
Job ID: 13578
privacy and protection,
when applying to a job online, never give your social security number to a prospective employer, provide credit card or bank account information, or perform any sort of monetary transaction.
By applying to a job using CareerBuilder you are agreeing to comply with and be subject to the CareerBuilder
Terms and Conditions
for use of our website. To use our website, you must agree with the
Terms and Conditions
and both meet and comply with their provisions.
New Flyer was founded in 1930, as Western Auto and Truck Body Limited, and is now the largest transit bus and motor coach manufacturer and parts distributor in North America, with fabrication, manufacturing, distribution and service centers in the United States and Canada. We continue building on our 85+ year legacy of innovation to deliver innovative transit technology that meets the complex demands of communities today and into the future.
Today, New Flyer operates as New Flyer of America Inc. and New Flyer Industries Canada ULC, subsidiaries of New Flyer Industries Inc. (the “NFI Group”). New Flyer is North America’s heavy-duty transit bus leader and offers the most advanced product line under the Xcelsior® and Xcelsior CHARGE™ brands, incorporating the broadest range of drive systems available, including clean diesel, natural gas, diesel-electric hybrid, trolley-electric, battery-electric and fuel cell.
Together, the NFI Group has over 50 years of experience in manufacturing zero-emission buses (ZEBs). It is the largest transit bus and motor coach manufacturer and parts distributor in North America, with 32 fabrication, manufacturing, distribution, and service centers across Canada and the U.S. employing nearly 6,000 team members. NFI Group actively supports over 44,000 heavy-duty transit buses (New Flyer, NABI, and Orion) currently in service, of which 6,400 are powered by electric and battery propulsion.
Not Ready To Apply?
View the full profile