New Flyer of America – North America’s largest transit bus, motor coach manufacturer and parts distributor is seeking a Driver (Vehicle Innovation Center) to join its growing international team.
Join us as we continue advancing innovation and sustainable transit solutions that connect people with places. With 31 locations across the U.S. and Canada, and over 85 years of experience manufacturing buses, New Flyer is building on a solid foundation to drive North America forward with progressive transit technology that serves communities and makes cities smarter.
Don’t settle for a job when you can build an impactful and exciting career.
The Driver for the Vehicle Innovation Center will perform electric bus demonstrations for visitors and customers (on and off-site with New Flyer representatives). The driver must maintain a CDL Type A license, and must be willing to obtain CDL Type B license. Must be capable of driving a semi-truck transporting the demo bus to sites throughout North America. The position requires a combination tractor-trailer CDL and the ability to drive the tractor-trailer over-the-road and in metropolitan environments, as well as drive the demonstration bus. The Driver must enthusiastically interact with customers, representing New Flyer professionally with transit operators, executives, government officials, and other VIPs.
What you will do:
- This position requires a CLASS A driver license with combination tractor-trailer equipment hauling experience.
- Maintains CDL on an ongoing basis to all legal requirements.
- Strong knowledge of heavy-duty vehicle systems and driver controls, and the aptitude to train less experienced operators.
- Able to travel for off-site business activity up to 75 percent over any 90 period (50 percent travel likely over periods of time).
- Loads transit buses and coaches on the flatbed trailer.
- Restrains the bus/coach onto the trailer for the over transit, and unloads the bus at destination site.
- Safely demonstrate electric transit buses and coaches (including 60 foot articulated buses) in dense urban traffic conditions.
- Reports mechanical and electrical problems to the Service Technician.
- Maintains vehicles, clean and tidy, and without defects to New Flyer defined standards.
- Performed pre-tip, en-route and post-trip inspection of vehicle.
- Records hours of service, distance travelled and fuel expenditure.
- Maintains driver logbooks and complies with all legal requirements.
- Follows all appropriate traffic laws.
- Demonstrates battery charging as needed – plug-in and overhead fast-charge.
- Follows all company related safety provisions and policies.
- Provides support to VIC Operations manager and VIC staff as needed for customer visits, tours and events. If there are off-weeks requiring no Vehicle Innovation Center or off-site demonstrations, the Driver may be assigned to the Anniston Plant Manager as needed.
- Must be able to travel on short notice.
- Experience with commercial driving, combination vehicles, and supporting front-line customer service related tasks and activities.
- Teaching and Training ability.
- Presentation skills.
- Problem Solving Skills
- Strong Communication Skills. Proficiency in written and verbal communications.
- Ability to function in a dynamic environment.
- Organization skills
- Ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with internal and external customers.
- New Flyer is an EEO/AAP/Female/Minority/Disabled/Vets Employer
- *Travel is required for this position*
Complex Problem Solving