Manage a staff of Tax managers who are responsible the tax department compliance and tax accounting functions. Provide tax advice to business units within the Bank. Provide strategic direction on emerging tax and business issues and opportunities, as well as developing tax saving strategies within the Bank. Primary Responsibilities:
Scope of Responsibilities:Supervisory/Managerial Responsibilities:
- Oversee Corporate Tax Department management and professional staff in all day-to-day operations and both short and long- term initiatives.
- Work with senior and executive management in a business advisory capacity to identify emerging opportunities and issues including tax issues associated with business initiatives, geographic expansion, investment, and acquisition targets. This position is the ultimate authority on tax policy within the Company.
- Identify structural changes, investments, acquisition planning, and other strategies that result in tax savings.
- Management of external tax consulting and audit related professional service providers.
- Manage the Sarbanes-Oxley mandated internal control and financial statement disclosure risk, in the heightened control focused environment that has evolved with the external auditors and SEC.
- Manage and monitor the risk associated with recent IRS and state strengthening of penalties associated with listed and reportable transactions.
- Keep current, understand, and give advice on the various tax related topics of concern to the FASB, PCAOB, SEC and IRS. Advise and educate business units on current risk environment that would affect their business decisions.
- Exercise management authority over staff with respect to hiring, termination, salary recommendations, and performance appraisals. Provide leadership, and a role model for best practices within the tax department and ensure that employee development and training moves the department forward.
- Exercise usual authority of a manager concerning staffing, performance appraisals, promotions, salary recommendations, performance management and terminations.
- Understand and adhere to the Company's risk and regulatory standards, policies and controls in accordance with the Company's Risk Appetite. Design, implement, maintain and enhance internal controls to mitigate risk on an ongoing basis. Identify risk-related issues needing escalation to management.
- Promote an environment that supports diversity and reflects the M&T Bank brand.
- Maintain M&T internal control standards, including timely implementation of internal and external audit points together with any issues raised by external regulators as applicable.
- Complete other related duties as assigned.
Full supervisory, development of team through professional leadership. Possess ability to direct/persuade/influence across division and peers throughout the bank.Education and Experience Required:
Bachelor's degree in Accounting or related field and a minimum 13 years' experience with 4 years' managerial experience or in lieu of a degree, a combined minimum of 15 years' higher education and/or work experience with 6 years' managerial experience
Thorough knowledge of tax project management concepts and application
Solid knowledge and understanding of the bank's business, accounting policies and procedures and financial concepts
Articulate and familiar with the banking industry, as well as history and performance of M&T
Solid proven leadership/managerial abilityEducation and Experience Preferred:
Previous Public Accounting experience
Master's Degree in Tax Accounting Physical Requirements:
Financial Accounting Standards Board (Fasb) Certified