Employees in this class earn experience performing a variety of manual laboring tasks pertaining to the operation and maintenance of Pasco County Utilities infrastructure. This includes unskilled to limited semiskilled work assisting in the installation, repair, and maintenance of water, wastewater, and reclaimed water system appurtenances. Essential Job Functions
Depending on their location assignment candidates may be required to perform any of the following functions:
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Operates, maintains, and repairs all phases of water, wastewater, reclaimed water systems.
- Maintains water, wastewater and reclaimed water facilities including custodial services and minor maintenance of plant processing equipment.
- Assists in installing, repairing, replacing water and reclaimed water distribution lines, and wastewater collection lines and restoration of site when job is complete.
- Performs field maintenance duties including installing, evaluation and repairing cross-connection controls, master meter assemblies, backflow prevention devices, tapping water and sewer lines, flushing fire hydrants, maintaining manholes, cutting pipes, operating pumps and other related duties.
- Assists in maintaining well stations, retention ponds, treatment plants and other utility assets.
- Assists in setting up for de-watering construction and maintenance sites and assists in setting up and dismantling shoring/trench box.
- Provides information and responds as appropriate to public information requests.
- Frequently requires lifting, moving, pushing, and pulling heavy objects weighing up to 80lbs.
- Frequently requires bending, climbing, stooping, squatting, and walking.
- Performs other related duties as required.
Minimum Requirements PHYSICAL SKILLS/WORKING CONDITIONS:
- Knowledge of methods of repairing water and reclaimed water distribution and wastewater collection lines.
- Knowledge of tools, fittings, and cleaning out lines.
- Ability to drive a truck.
- Ability to operate line clearing equipment and pumps.
- Ability to use a variety of hand and power tools.
- Ability to get along with other employees and the public.
- Ability to lift and/or move up to 80 pounds and push or pull heavy objects.
Ability to lift and/or move up to 80 pounds and push or pull heavy objects. May use a handling device (dolly, cart, etc.) or work with another team member to lift and/or move excessively heavy objects. Ability to frequently bend, climb, stoop, squat, and walk. Ability to communicate effectively using verbal, written and visual communication. Ability to work outside, occasionally under adverse conditions. Ability to perform strenuous physical labor for extended periods of time. Work location and shift may vary for this position. EDUCATION, TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE:
Graduation from High School or an acceptable equivalency diploma. LICENSES, CERTIFICATIONS OR REGISTRATIONS:
Must possess a valid Florida driver's license.
Candidates may be promoted to Utility Worker II after six (6) months of employment and upon completion of Confined Space Certification, Trenching and Shoring Certification, CPR training and FEMA Course 100 and FEMA Course 700. ADA STATEMENT:
A qualified employee or applicant with a disability may be afforded a reasonable accommodation to perform the essential job functions of a position in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act. DRUG-FREE WORKPLACE:
Pasco County BOCC is a drug-free workplace in accordance with Federal and Florida law.
EMERGENCY RESPONSE/RECOVERY ACTIVITIES:
All employees will be required to work before, during, or after an emergency. During an emergency, employees may temporarily be assigned to work and perform duties outside the normal scope of their position, location and work schedule to fit the needs of the County and its citizens. VETERANS' PREFERENCE:
Under Section 295.07, F.S., Chapter SSA-7, Pasco County BCC provides to Veterans, that preference in appointment will be given to preference-eligible applicants. PASCO COUNTY WAS VOTED ONE OF THE NATION'S TOP WORK PLACES FOR 2021
- Florida Retirement System (FRS) retirement plan
- PTO (Paid Time Off)
- Paid holidays
- Group insurance
- Tuition reimbursement
- Deferred compensation
- Medical leave pool
- Annual medical leave buy-back
- Mid-management/Professional grade, and management personnel may receive 40 hours of admin leave per calendar year.
Effective July 1, 2011, FRS members must contribute 3% of their salary as retirement contributions, on a pre-tax basis (the salary is reduced by the amount of the employee contribution before determining the federal income tax deduction). The employer will automatically deduct the employee contributions.
01 I am aware that the following supplemental questions will determine my eligibility for this position.
02 Are you a current Pasco County BOCC employee?
03 Which best describes your highest level of COMPLETED education?
- High School
- Associate degree
- Bachelor's Degree
- Master's Degree
- None of the above
04 Which best describes the years of experience you have as required for this position?
- Ten or more years of experience
- Nine years but less than ten
- Eight years but less than nine
- Seven years but less than eight
- Six years but less than seven
- Five years but less than six
- Four years but less than five
- Three years but less than four
- Two years but less than three
- One year but less than two
- Less than one year of experience
05 Do you possess a valid Florida driver's license or have the ability to obtain the license within 30 days from date of hire?
06 Are you a veteran who served as a member of the armed forces of the United States during a period of war, defined in Title 38, U.S.C., and who was separated from such service under honorable conditions, or the surviving spouse of any such veteran?(Supporting documentation needed at time of application or next business day)
07 I hereby acknowledge that Pasco County BOCC is a drug-free workplace in accordance with Federal and Florida law, and consent to pre-employment drug/alcohol testing, and agree to abide by the program and policy if employed by Pasco County BOCC.
08 Are you legally allowed to work in the United States?
09 Have you recently retired from the Florida Retirement System (FRS) Pension Plan or Investment Plan within the last 12 months?
10 Please specifically explain how your prior work experience and education match the qualifications for this position. (1000 characters or less)
11 How did you hear about this position?
- Friend/Family Referral
- Magazine publication
- Pasco County Traffic Sign
- Pasco County Website/GovernmentJobs.com
- Job Fair
* Required Question
- Assembly And Installation
- Confined Spaces
- Infrastructure Management