The Conservation Fund
TITLE: Accounting Manager
LINE OF BUSINESS/DIVISION: Operations/Finance
FLSA STATUS: Exempt
REPORTS TO: Director of Accounting & Financial Reporting
NUMBER OF POSITIONS REPORTING TO THIS POSITION: 3
LOCATION: Arlington, VA (hybrid)
The Accounting Manager oversees day-to-day transaction processing for all The Conservation Fund’s receipts and disbursements, supporting staff and the organization in addressing questions about complex or unusual transactions in these areas. The Accounting Manager manages to a timely monthly and annual financial close and assists with required financial reporting and analysis. The Accounting Manager reviews and performs account analysis, bank reconciliations, and other key controls to mitigate risk and ensure accuracy. The Manager assists in coordinating the annual financial statement audit and supports other regular compliance activities, including the annual filing of IRS Forms 990.
Working alongside the Director of Accounting and Financial Reporting, the Accounting Manager will help evaluate and implement new accounting standards and serve as an expert resource to the organization on accounting matters.
The Accounting Manager reports to the Director of Accounting and Financial Reporting and supervises a small team of accounting staff.
RESPONSIBILITIES & SCOPE
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable Accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Manage daily accounting processes and month- and year-end close. Supervise A/P and A/R function and staff.
- Coordinate annual financial statement audit. Assist with production, review, and submission of IRS Forms 990.
- Ensure transaction compliance with GAAP and sound internal controls.
- Serve as an expert resource to the organization on accounting and financial reporting matters, especially in the area of revenue recognition.
- Support the ongoing development and maintenance of finance procedures, documentation, and training for the department and the broader organization.
- Equity, Diversity and Inclusion responsibilities.
- Recruit, interview, hire, and train new staff.
- Oversee the daily workflow of the department.
- Manage relationships with contractors and oversee products.
- Provide constructive and timely performance evaluations.
- Handle discipline and termination of employees in accordance with company policy.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting/Finance and at least five years related experience.
- Experience with GAAP and solid understanding of not-for-profit accounting principles, practices and regulations.
- Experience recruiting, developing, motivating and managing the performance of staff.
- • Ability to analyze and apply independent judgment to the proper application of relevant regulatory framework to complex or unique transactions.
- Experience with automated accounting systems. Advanced proficiency with Excel.
- Strong attention to detail, organizational skills, and a focus on accuracy and compliance.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills. Flexible and reliable self-starter comfortable in a fast-paced and dynamic work environment.
- Commitment to The Conservation Fund’s mission and values.
PREFERRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
- CPA certification preferred.
- Prior experience using SharePoint.
- Prolonged periods of sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
- Work is performed primarily in an office setting.
- Travel requirements will depend somewhat on primary work location; to be determined.
COMPENSATION and BENEFITS
The salary range for this position is $110,000 - $120,000, and the position is eligible for opportunities to earn performance-based bonus compensation. The Fund offers a highly competitive package of benefits including employer contributions for health care, paid holidays, vacation and personal/sick leave, retirement plan and more.
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change or new ones may be assigned at any time, with or without notice.
***Please submit cover letter and resume with application***
learn more about The Conservation Fund, visit
Frequently cited statistics show that women and people from underrepresented groups apply to jobs only if they think they meet 100% of the criteria. If you meet many but not all the criteria and feel you may be a good fit for the role, The Conservation Fund encourages you to apply.
The Conservation Fund, a nonprofit corporation, is an Equal Opportunity Employer that fully and actively supports equal access for all people regardless of Race, Color, Religion, Gender, Age, National Origin, Veteran Status, Disability, Genetic Information or Testing, Family and Medical Leave status, Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity or Expression. The Fund prohibits retaliation against individuals who bring forth any complaint, orally or in writing, to the employer or the government, or against any individuals who assist or participate in the investigation of any complaint, or otherwise oppose discrimination.
- Accounting Systems
- Attention To Detail