TITLE: Project Engineer / Engineering Manager
LOCATION: Bellevue, Washington, USA
TerraPower® is a nuclear energy technology company based in Bellevue, Washington. At our core, we are working to raise living standards globally. In 2006, the company originated with Bill Gates and a group of like-minded visionaries who evaluated the fundamental challenges to raising living standards around the world. They recognized energy access was crucial to the health and economic well-being of communities, and decided that the private sector needed to take action and create energy sources that would advance global energy deployment. TerraPower’s mission is to be a world leader in new nuclear technologies, while developing innovators and future leaders in the nuclear field. TerraPower is committed to bringing sustainable, affordable and safe energy to address global issues. As a result, the company’s activities in the fields of nuclear energy and related sciences are yielding significant innovations in the safety and economics of nuclear power, hybrid energy and medical applications.
TerraPower is seeking to hire highly motivated and forward thinking professionals who are interested in focusing on advanced nuclear reactor research and development, and influencing change within the nuclear power landscape. TerraPower is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate in hiring on the basis of sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religious creed, national origin, physical or mental disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law. In addition, as a federal contractor, TerraPower has instituted an Affirmative Action Plan (AAP) in an effort to proactively recruit, hire, and promote women, minorities, disabled persons and veterans.
Project Engineer / Engineering Manager (Plant Design)
TerraPower, LLC. is seeking a highly motivated Project Engineer / Engineering Manager to coordinate technical work across engineering disciplines, partners, and suppliers for TerraPower’s Natrium Project. This role will be responsible for defining, coordinating, and executing the Plant Design portion of the interdisciplinary technical scope within the Natrium Project. The Project Engineer will support the Natrium Project by providing technical approval for design changes, acting as a liaison between Project and Engineering Management, aiding in determination of technical resources, and providing Natrium specific training for the technical staff. The Project Engineer will provide Design Authority in their responsible areas on the Natrium Project, including approval of Design Change Requests from an overall design integration standpoint. The Project Engineer will report to the Vice President of Engineering.
- Work with the Natrium engineering leadership to mature the Natrium plant requirements and manage these requirements throughout the design.
- Work with the Natrium design team to develop the high-level functional behavior of the Natrium Plant, including operational and maintenance strategies.
- Identify and coordinate high level plant architecture to meet the Natrium mission.
- Oversee plant level supplier design activities for the Nuclear and Energy Islands.
- Coordinate with the Systems Design team to assure systems integration across the Natrium Plant.
- Effectively support design reviews and the resolution of cross functional technical issues.
- Keep Project Management and Engineering Management informed of major emerging technical issues.
- Interface with regulators, stakeholders, and customers on Natrium design issues.
- Hold periodic meetings with Natrium Technical Team to ensure appropriate communication of project information.
- Aid in determination of resource requirements, in consult with the Project Manager (PM), based on Natrium Plant Design scope, schedule, and budget. Help provide technical resource demand signal to Engineering Management.
- Assist PMs and Engineering Management in resolving priority conflicts by evaluating technical resource skill mix based on Natrium technical scope, schedule, and budget.
- Provide Natrium specific design and technology guidance.
- Develop and maintain Natrium specific technical procedures and guidance.
- Provide Design Authority on Plant Design scope within the Natrium Project.
- Ensure proper execution of Natrium Plant Design work scopes across disciplines, and in some cases partners and suppliers.
- Monitor, maintain, and report out to Project Management on technical risks for Natrium.
- Review and concur with technical content of PRs and subcontract packages within Natrium.
- Ensure compliance of Engineering Products with Natrium technical requirements.
- Coordinate independent checking and independent design reviews, including in-process cross-discipline work, for Engineering Products within Natrium.
- Ensure Engineering Products meet Natrium Quality Assurance requirements.
- Demonstrate visible, continuous leadership in the areas of safety and quality.
- Accountable to the Natrium Project Manager(s) for project direction and to ensure that work is performed, and projects are designed, in a safe, reliable, and efficient manner in accordance with technical requirements.
- Accountable to the VP of Engineering for providing Design Authority to the Natrium Project.
- Accountable to the Natrium Project Engineering Director for project technical direction.
- Accountable to the Director of Regulatory Affairs for compliance of design to regulatory requirements within scope of responsibility.
- Exercising Design Authority within assigned Plant Design scope.
- Approve Design Changes within assigned Plant Design scope.
- Approve Natrium specific technical procedures and guidance.
- Approve, or delegate approval of, design inputs and submittals from Natrium subcontracts and external partners within Plant Design scope.
Key Qualifications and Skills
- B.S. in Nuclear Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, or other relevant technical degree from an accredited university, or an M.S. or Ph.D. with commensurate experience. Experience in the power industry or other highly regulated industries may be applicable.
- 5+ years of engineering management experience.
- 15+ years of direct experience in plant or systems engineering.
- Nuclear design and construction experience desired.
- Experience with plant layout, facility design, and design for construction is desired.
- Experience working to quality standards on design activities such as AISC, ASME or NQA-1.
- Excellent technical writing, communication, and presentation skills.
- Attention to detail and aspiration for technical excellence.
- Candidate must be a self-starter and possess ability to coordinate and lead a design team’s effort with minimal direction.
- Experience managing procurements, testing, and fabrication activities
- Must possess a broad understanding of the various engineering disciplines and how they interrelate in the design activities.
- Experience with design integration activities such as requirements management, design bases, configuration management, and information management systems
- Ability to work on multiple tasks concurrently during a given work week
- Excellent writing, presentation, and communication skills.
- Ability to work with minimum direction to solve challenging problems
- The successful candidate will possess a high degree of trust and integrity, communicate openly and display respect and a desire to foster teamwork.
Job Functions are physical actions and/or working conditions associated with the position. These functions may also constitute essential functions for the job which the employee must be able to fulfill, with or without accommodation. Information provided below is to help describe the job so that the applicant has a reasonable understanding of the job duties/expectations. An applicant's ability to perform and/or tolerate these actions and conditions will be discussed and workplace accommodations may be made on a case-by-case basis following an individualized assessment of the applicant and other considerations, including but not limited to any governing safety standards.
- Motor Abilities: Sitting for extended periods, bending/stooping, grasping/gripping, fine motor control (hands)
- Physical exertion and/or requirements: Minimal, with ability to safely lift up to 25 pounds
- Repetitive work: Prolonged
- Special Senses: Visual and audio focused work
- Work Conditions: Stairs, typing/keyboard, standing and/or sitting working environment of >8 hrs./day
- Travel required 0-10%
TerraPower’s technology is controlled for export by various agencies of the U.S. Government. TerraPower must evaluate applicants who are foreign nationals (other than asylees, refugees, or lawful permanent residents) in accordance with U.S. Government export control requirements. To facilitate TerraPower’s export control reviews, you will be asked as part of the application process to identify whether you are a U.S. Citizen or national, asylee, refugee, or lawful permanent resident of the United States. Government export authorization approval times vary. Based on the business needs for a particular position, TerraPower may not consider a foreign national from a country if it is impracticable to obtain timely Government export approval.
Please visit [ Link removed ] to apply