Air Products and Chemicals, Inc., a Fortune 500 manufacturer of industrial gases and chemicals, has an immediate opening for a Lead Construction Estimator at our Corporate Headquarters in Allentown, Pennsylvania.
The position is within the America's Construction Estimating Organization and is responsible for estimating construction costs for Process Gases plants (globally) and Integrated Gases plants, Generated Gases and LNG product lines (in North and South America). Construction Estimating scope includes all Civils, Mechanical, Electrical & Instrumentation, and Insulation disciplines. It also includes pre-fabrication (off-site fabrication) scope.
The Construction Estimator is accountable for all aspects of developing construction costs. Typical activities include: developing detailed construction cost estimates from design drawings, developing "conceptual" construction cost estimates with limited design information, identifying construction related risks and value improvements, reviewing and assessing the completeness of Construction packages, reviewing the work of outside A&E Firms who prepare construction scope and costs for Air Products, and participating in negotiations with construction contractors during the bid and execution phases.
Estimators are responsible for the maintenance of various cost databases for construction disciplines on a global basis. The Construction Estimator is required to lead construction estimate reviews and communicate risks and opportunities for improvement to the reviewers. Estimators are frequently challenged with tight timelines. The ability to work with speed and self-confidence is a must.
The successful Construction Estimator has the ability to identify design gaps and liaise with the responsible Designers to rectify issues. When design information is missing, or gaps cannot be resolved in a timely manner, the Estimator will use their good judgement to make realistic and reasonable design assumptions (typically regarding pipe sizes, structural steel sizes, foundation sizes, instrument cable types, etc.). The Estimator's decisions and judgements regarding construction durations, crane sizing, materials of construction and other estimate considerations can be the determining factor in whether Air Products wins or loses competitively bid projects.
This position is accountable for the following end results:
- Accuracy of detailed take‑off construction estimates for all disciplines using the appropriate Construction Estimating methods and tools.
- Accuracy of conceptual construction cost estimates from plot plan, single line diagrams, and PID.
- Collection of "actual" data from the field to improve the speed and accuracy in the development of future construction scope, costs and risks.
- Identification and communication of gaps in Construction Packages prior to release of the packages to Contractors for bidding.
- Documentation and communication of conceptual estimate basis to designers prior to design kick-off so that the cost basis is well understood and can be incorporated into the design.
- Review of the construction estimating activities and results by outside engineering firms for all phases of a project from initial bids to contract addendums.
- Reconciliation and report-out of conceptual estimates versus as-designed estimates to document learnings for incorporation into future conceptual estimates.
- Lead internal construction estimate reviews up to the General Manager level.
MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS AND QUALIFICATIONS:
- Ability to work in a team environment and always maintain a positive attitude even in times of high stress and workload.
- 10+ years in Construction Estimating related position for industrial facilities.
- 2+ years in Field Construction, Construction Management, or Construction Controls in an industrial setting is a plus.
- Applicant should be experienced in conceptual piping layout and estimating using P&ID and equipment arrangement.
- Applicant should have extensive knowledge of piping materials, components, systems and piping specifications.
- Strong knowledge of Construction Industry best practices and the ability to challenge "traditional" work norms to promote newer innovative work practices so that Air Products can maintain its industry-leading performance.
- Ability to analyze Construction Packages and identify scope gaps.
- Ability to conceptualize foundation sizing, piping layouts, structural steel quantities, power and instrumentation routing from plot plans, PID's, and Electrical load lists & single-line diagrams.
- Excellent written, verbal, computer, and interpersonal communication skills
- Experience with the following tools is a plus: Accubid, Timberline, QuickPen, and I-Data.
- Flexibility in terms of travel, changing priorities, and workload (Note: This position requires up to 20% travel).
- High School Diploma is required; Associates Degree in estimating/construction related field is preferred.
- Experience with international construction and commonly used international estimating methods is a plus.
To learn more, visit URL blocked - click to apply.
Air Products offers a comprehensive benefits package including paid holidays/vacation, affordable medical, dental, life insurance and retirement plans.
We thank all applicants in advance for their interest; however, only those applicants who are being considered for an interview, or are currently employed by Air Products, will be contacted.
Air Products is an Equal Opportunity Employer (U.S.) All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, citizenship, gender, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, disability, or veteran status.
Construction Estimating Software