To begin the application process, please enter your email address.
Company Contact Info
- Indianapolis, IN
Sorry, we cannot save or unsave this job right now.
Report this Job
Saving Your Job Alert
Job Alert Saved!
Could not save Job Alert!
You have too many Job Alerts!
This email address has reached the maximum of 5 email alerts. To create a new alert, you will need to log into your email and unsubscribe from at least one.
Email Send Failed!
Assistant to the Chair Campus IUPUI - Indianapolis
Indiana University • Indianapolis, IN
Posted 1 month ago
The primary function of this position is to provide overall administrative support to the Department Chair and the faculty of the Department of Technology Leadership and Communication (TLC) in the School of Engineering and Technology. The Assistant to the Chair will supervise part-time office staff and manage the work allocation of the office to ensure efficient and timely completion of tasks. Duties and responsibilities include:
• Provide support to the Chair, Associate Chair, Graduate Program Chair, and Undergraduate Program Directors for various administrative and human resources tasks; including scheduling of meetings, meeting deadlines, departmental data collection, financial reporting, and report preparation. The Assistant to the Chair will be a first point of contact for scheduling and prioritizing access to departmental Chairs and Directors as well as conferring with and serving as a representative of the TLC Department. Human Resource support includes preparing paperwork and electronic documents (eDocs) for all hiring of adjunct faculty, visiting scholars, student academic appointees, and hourly employees; hiring student graders and research/teaching assistants; tracking contract expiration dates and initiating rehiring or terminations; assisting faculty with temporary worker hiring (visiting scholars, postdoctoral fellows, and graduate students.) Initiating and processing Visa (J-1 or H1-B) and Permanent Residency applications. Performing payroll, tuition remissions, and health insurance related tasks. Renewing contracts for Adjunct Faculty and Assistantship positions. Maintaining all confidential personnel and academic files, providing orientation information to new hires.
• Manage the daily office activities to ensure that the office is maintained and is staffed during the daily office hours. Be responsible for the office activities, deadlines, and duties by delegating tasks to staff members, verifying progress, and ensuring completion. Typical delegated tasks include: Web site maintenance, social media maintenance, bulletin board maintenance, file organization, office organization, office supplies, and office equipment maintenance and repair. Facilitation of the search and screen process for all departmental positions, including advertising, affirmative action procedures, expenses, interview scheduling, travel arrangement, and hiring process in conjunction with the school HR Coordinator. Assisting with travel authorizations and reimbursements which may include travel arrangements and reimbursements when necessary. Assisting department and faculty on purchasing including equipment, supplies, and food services. Hiring and maintaining student workers, i.e. teaching assistants. graders, and hourly student workers. Assisting the Chairs and Program Directors with course scheduling and textbook orders for the Department
• Monitor and review departmental general fund accounts and foundation accounts expenses for accuracy. Initiate purchase requisitions and IU Foundation check disbursements; approve expenditures advise Dean’s Office staff of any transfer charges for department. Maintain confidential records.
• Supervise the work activities of department office staff members if available including: faculty meeting minutes, establishment of procedures, work assignments, instruction and monitoring of performance; participation in interviewing, hiring, and recommending appointments in clerical area; conduct performance evaluations and disciplinary actions.
• Recommend office and personnel related policies and actions. Contribute to various areas of the 2018-2023 Strategic Plan for the TLC department. Other duties as assigned.
REQUIRED: Bachelor’s degree and two years of related experience.
Combinations of related education and experience may be considered.
Proficiency in use of various software and information technology applications. Excellent time management. Excellent interpersonal and communication skills. Attention to detail and accuracy. Ability to work independently and prioritize work.
Knowledge of proprietary systems used by Indiana University. Knowledge of branding, marketing, and recruitment initiatives. Ability to understand and work within social media environments.
Working Conditions / Physical Demands
Ability to work on computer and remain stationary for long hours