As a patient-focused organization, University of Utah Health exists to enhance the health and well-being of people through patient care, research and education. Success in this mission requires a culture of collaboration, excellence, leadership, and respect. University of Utah Health seeks staff that are committed to the values of compassion, collaboration, innovation, responsibility, diversity, integrity, quality and trust that are integral to our mission. EO/AA
This position ensures precise and accurate treatment plans, dosage calculations and dosimetry considerations for patients undergoing radiation therapy. This position provides direct patient care and may be required to access and administer medications within their scope of practice and according to state law.
Corporate Overview: The University of Utah is a Level 1 Trauma Center and is nationally ranked and recognized for our academic research, quality standards and overall patient experience. Our five hospitals and eleven clinics provide excellence in our comprehensive services, medical advancement, and overall patient outcomes.
* Designs treatment plans by means of computer and/or manual computation with optimal beam geometry to deliver a prescribed radiation dose and spare critical structures in accordance with the Radiation Oncologist's prescription.
* Identifies and contours normal and dose-limiting structures by utilizing images from one or more data sets. Assumes proficiency in image registration with various image data sets to include CT, MRI and PET.
* Creates and transfers reference images and localization markers for portal verification and treatment delivery to include DRRs, CBCTs and other IGRT methods, as specified.
* Supervises, performs or assists in Simulations and tumor localization using specified imaging devices including, but not limited to, CT, MRI and PET.
* Supervises, performs or assists in the planning and implementation of the fabrication of compensation filters, custom shields and other beam modifying devices.
* Supervises, performs or assists in the planning and implementation of the production of molds, casts and other immobilization devices.
* Communicates with the Radiation Therapists and assume an advisory role in the implementation of the treatment plan, including the correct use of immobilization devices, compensators, wedges, field arrangement and other treatment or imaging parameters.
* Performs calculations for the accurate delivery of the prescribed dose, document all pertinent information in the patient record and verify the mathematical accuracy of all calculations by an approved method.
* Teaches applied aspects of medical dosimetry to students, Radiation Therapists and Residents.
* Participates in continuing education.
* Participates in quality improvement processes.
Knowledge / Skills / Abilities
* Ability to perform the essential functions of the job as outlined above.
* Demonstrated human relation and effective communication skills.
* Demonstrated knowledge and skills necessary to provide care appropriate to the age of the patients served on his or her assigned unit. The individual must demonstrate knowledge of the principles of life span growth and development and the ability to assess data regarding the patient's status and provide care as described in the department's policy and procedures manuals.
* Current credential as a Certified Medical Dosimetrist by the American Association of Medical Dosimetry or obtain within 24 months of hire.
* Additional license requirements as determined by the hiring department.
* Three years of dosimetry experience, or equivalency.
Working Conditions and Physical Demands
Employee must be able to meet the following requirements with or without an accommodation.
* This position involves intermediate working conditions in a healthcare setting that may exert up to 50 pounds and may consistently require lifting, carrying, pushing, pulling, or otherwise moving patients or objects, such as medical equipment, while providing patient care.
Color Determination, Far Vision, Listening, Manual Dexterity, Near Vision, Sitting, Speaking, Standing, Walking
- Certified Medical Dosimetrist