To begin the application process, please enter your email address.
Company Contact Info
- Chicago, IL
Sorry, we cannot save or unsave this job right now.
Report this Job
Saving Your Job Alert
Job Alert Saved!
Could not save Job Alert!
You have too many Job Alerts!
This email address has reached the maximum of 5 email alerts. To create a new alert, you will need to log into your email and unsubscribe from at least one.
Email Send Failed!
SQL Database Administrator
True Value • Chicago, IL
Posted 1 month ago
Get facts about other applicants with a CareerBuilder Account
Do you want to make a significant impact? Do you want to help shape the future of True Value Company? True Value has an opening for a SQL Database Administrator.
Revolutionize Wholesale and join a high performing information technology team. We are a dynamic team committed to driving True Value’s aggressive growth as the only nationally branded hardlines wholesaler that celebrates independent retailers.
• Embraces personal and professional development
• Values diverse perspectives
• Provides competitive compensation
• Committed to volunteerism and community outreach
Your Value = Our Value. True Value.
The SQL Database Administrator will develop, deploy and support development, Test, QA and Production databases. This includes database design, application development support, and database production support. The candidate will also schedule, set up and deploy new database infrastructure. This is a hands-on role that will require the direct involvement in all decisions and work necessary to operate a dynamic and evolving technology environment. The SQL Database Administrator will work closely with business and technology partners, customers, vendors and management at all levels to successfully deliver world-class technology services and solutions.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Plan, test, and implement database system code provided by the software vendor
- Diagnose and implement changes that solve database performance problems
- Schedules and coordinates database maintenance activities including such items as database reorganizations and restructures.
- Monitors current DBMS performance and develops procedures, where necessary, to improve the DBMS environment as required.
- Strong capability and ability to resolve highly technical and complex database and infrastructure related issues before production and business are impacted.
- Own Root Cause Analysis and Problem Management for database platforms.
- Direct application programmers and DBAs in efficient database design and implementations
- Directs a team of database administrators and application programmers in efficient data base design, implementation and best practices.
- Performs Database Administration related activities for major projects both independently and as a member of larger project teams.
- Provides technical expertise to the development of solutions for such items as DBMS tools and utilities usage, database administration, backup and recovery, database performance tuning and monitoring.
- Keeps team priorities in alignment with company objectives and requirements.
- Must be able to build and organize teams with a “can do” attitude capable of overcoming difficult challenges.
- Assign individual priorities commensurate with available resources and skill levels.
- Coordinate and lead projects through all phases of design and implementation.
- Actively participate in daily operations escalations.
- Code, test, and implement physical and logical databases
- Coordinates and/or participates in database stress tests, analyzes results, and makes recommendations for design or coding changes based upon those results.
- Maintain advanced knowledge of database concepts and techniques
- Develops and maintains DBMS related standards, procedures, guidelines and roadmaps, knows where they are located, and makes full use of them.
- Complies with all corporate SDLC, security and audit standards. Ensures security of corporate information by ensuring database security and monitoring the environment to identify improper access.
- Identify opportunities to innovate, extend and enhance service delivery everywhere possible.
- 7+ years of DBA experience, at least last 5 years as Lead on all aspects of Database Administration in a large/challenging database environment on Solaris, UNIX/Linux and Windows platforms.
- Hands-on experience in all aspects of development, implementation, maintenance and support of Oracle 9i, 10g, 11g, 12c & 18c databases on Windows, Linux and Solaris platforms, and Microsoft SQL Server 2003, 2008 and 2008R2, 2012 & 2014 on various Windows platforms.
- Experience supporting business-critical ERP applications.
- Thorough understanding of various application server and middleware software like WebLogic, JBoss, JRun, Tom Cat, IBM Web sphere is desired.
- Experience supporting internet/web-based database applications with heavy concurrent user volume
- Experience with infrastructure and server theories, principles and concepts; application infrastructure and standards; networking fundamentals; Windows; Clustering ; Physical Server architecture; Virtualization Technologies (e.g. VMware, HyperV) and LAN/WAN/Firewall/VPN network technologies.
- A thorough understanding of infrastructure architecture governance. Experience in managing such governance in an outsourced engagement is a plus.
- Experience in prevailing industry architecture and engineering methodologies - MSF and ITIL preferred. Must have an understanding of how to identify and instill industry best practices.
- Must show a progressive advancement in responsibility including deep troubleshooting technical skills.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills having the ability to translate technical issues into understandable business language for end users.
- Ability to perform professional level technical documentation and presentation.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent work experience
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.