We look forward to your application! When applying, please be sure to put your Full Legal First Name and Last Name for legal and processing purposes.
Are you looking for an opportunity to turn your ambition and your people skills into a rewarding career with an industry leader? Join our team at American Tire Distributors! As the nation's premier tire distributor, ATD’s coast-to-coast distribution network provides approximately 80,000 customers across the U.S. and Canada with rapid and frequent delivery of high quality tires, custom wheels and shop supplies.
The Mixing Center - Yard Jockey's primary duties include relocating and positioning of trailers/containers for loading and unloading as well as maintaining organization of the drop yard. He/she works closely with Operations Supervisor, dispatcher, gatekeeper, inbound coordinator, and warehouse leads to maintain smooth flow of trailers/containers into and out of the drop yard. Operates Ottawa Yard truck to transport trailers/containers from drop yard to designated dock door as needed. Performs daily inspections of yard truck and/or equipment to insure proper working order and reports any non-working and/or unsafe equipment conditions to management as needed. Responds to inquiries from operations team relating to trailer/container arrival and departures.
- Uses the morning “yard log sheet” to perform a yard check for all outbound yard trailers to report what loaded trailers are still in the yard and validates which empty trailer arrived into the yard after hours; provides completed “yard log sheet” to dispatcher.
- Utilizes the afternoon “yard log sheet checklist” to document which containers are empty, loaded from previous day, and which containers have arrived at the Mixing Center daily; provides completed “yard log sheet checklist” to dispatcher and keeps the gatekeeper informed of findings daily.
- Operates Ottawa Yard truck to transport trailers from yard drop slot to designated dock door as needed.
- Obtains outbound schedules to assign trailer ID numbers to designated dock doors for warehouse personnel to load required outbound shipments.
- Utilizes Ottawa yard truck to pull loaded outbound trailers away from the docks; ensures all trailers doors are closed and bolt security ID seal is inserted for each loaded outbound trailer.
- Utilizes yard truck to connect and transport containers from drop lot to designated dock doors to unload accordingly; cuts security ID seal, opens and secures doors prior to backing container into dock door.
- Uses the “Vehicle Pre-trip Inspection Form” daily prior to usage to ensure proper working order/integrity of the yard truck; reports any non-working and/or unsafe equipment conditions to Management as needed.
- Confirms daily integrity of drop yard and fencing to the Operations Manager to ensure physical security within the mixing center; stages all trailers against the wall bumpers for security measures to prevent pilferage.
- Responds to inquiries from operations team relating to trailer/container arrival and departures.
- Any other applicable duties and responsibilities assigned by management.
Key Partners (Positions):
- Mixing Center- General Manager, Operations Supervisor, Operations Manager, Inventory Control Manager, Inbound Coordinator, Dispatcher, Gatekeeper, Lead Person.
Experience(s) that Best Prepares You:
- Education: High school diploma or GED preferred but not required
- Class A CDL preferred but not required
- Clean driving record within ATD standards
- Maintain company certification and D.O.T. required medical documents
- Five years driving experience on over the road or local delivery driving preferred but not required
- Familiarization with yard tractors, trailers, and containers along with displacement of weight knowledge
- Such alternatives to the above qualifications as the company, in its discretion, may find appropriate and acceptable.
- Organization and communication skills
- Integrity: Doing the right thing in all circumstances
- Self-management: Set well defined and realistic goals. Display initiative and commitment to meet goals. Work with minimal supervision.
- Decision Making: Make sound, well informed and objective decisions. Understand the impact of the decisions made.
- Creative Thinking: Use imagination to develop solutions to problems. Always remember what worked yesterday no longer works today.
- Continuous Learning: Recognize strengths and weaknesses. Allow feedback from others and pursue self-development.
- Teamwork: Work collaboratively with all departments to coordinate effective work environment. Share information and foster the exchange of ideas.
- Demonstrate Respect: Handle all business matters ethically and in full compliance with American Tire Distributors “Code of Conduct”.
- Be Accountable for Results: Assume full responsibility for the consequences of one’s behavior, decisions, and results.
Physical Demands/Work Environment/Travel Requirements:
- Physical demands: While performing the duties of this job, the associate is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; climb stairs; balance, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl; talk, hear, taste and/or smell; the associate must occasionally lift and/or move up to 75 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
- Work environment: While performing the duties of this job, the associate is exposed to weather conditions prevalent at the time. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
- Travel required: 0%
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying the position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by their supervisor, subject to reasonable accommodations. Nothing in this job description creates a contract of employment in any way for any person. All employees hired by American Tire Distributors, Inc. are employees at will and the company reserves the right to terminate employees at any time for any reason or no reason at all.
Build a challenging and rewarding career with us!
American Tire Distributors is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Drug Free Workplace
Shift Type: 3rd Shift (United States of America)
Job ID: R16025
Hardworking And Dedicated