Landscape Supervisor - 500231
**For best consideration, please submit your resume & application by September 30, 2019 as application review will start at that time**
The Landscape Supervisor assists the Associate Director of Landscape Services and the Landscape Manager in the daily operations of the department; specifically, supervising seven (7) non-exempt staff to include (2) Turf Specialist, (2) Groundskeepers, (1) Integrated Pest Management Specialist, and (2) Auto Mechanics. The Landscape Supervisor assures consistency and quality in the delivery of landscape services for the campus community and University properties.
- Supervises a staff of seven (7) full-time staff
- Schedules and assigns work
- Provides problem-solving assistance
- Prepares time cards for payroll
- Conducts annual performance appraisals
Athletic Field Maintenance
- Supervises and assists Turf Specialists to ensure that all 9 athletic fields are properly maintained and prepared for practice and games
- Acts as a liaison to the Athletic department and the Rec Sports department with daily athletic field needs
- Monitors all athletic field quality daily
Off-Campus Property Maintenance
- Supervises and assists Groundskeepers in maintaining off-campus properties as well as the apartments on the Westhampton side of campus
- Supervises and assists Auto Shop Staff in the scheduling and maintenance of University equipment and vehicles
Integrated Pest Management
- Supervises and assists I.P.M. Specialist to ensure that the Landscape I.P.M. Plan is implemented to control pest on campus as required.
Essential Personnel Duties
- Supervises and assists staff in the removal of snow and ice and application of sand and chemicals utilizing hand shovels, brooms, power snow blowers, tractors and trucks equipped with blades and spreaders
- Supervises staff in support of scheduled campus events and activities
- Ensures that all personnel are properly trained and working in a safe manner
- All Facilities employees will exercise behavior in accordance with University policies as well as with the Facilities statement of Core Values
- All Facilities employees will comply with safety standards and demonstrate safe work habits
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL EFFORT:
- Requires the employee to work both inside and outside in cold, hot, wet and/or dry conditions.
- Often required to use personal protective equipment to prevent exposure to hazardous materials and/or loud noises.
- Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds.
- A thorough knowledge of natural grass athletic field maintenance
- A thorough knowledge of synthetic grass athletic field maintenance
- A thorough knowledge of athletic event management, including all technical and safety aspects involved is required
- A thorough knowledge of vehicle and equipment procurement and maintenance is required
- Must have a Commercial Applicators Pesticide License
- Demonstrated knowledge of supervisory skills, able to direct, lead, and train a diverse staff is required.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
- High School diploma or GED is required
- Associates degree in turf management/horticulture or related field preferred
- 2-3 years of prior landscape and turf maintenance experience required; 5 years prior landscape and turf maintenance experience preferred; previous experience in a college, university, county, city or commercial facility is desired
- Full-time, non-exempt position
- Monday - Friday, 6:30 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.; 8 hrs./day; 40 hrs./week
- Required to work weekends, nights and be on-call as assigned.
- All Facilities employees are designated as essential personnel and are subject to work outside the normal work schedule on an emergency basis and are also subject to planned overtime work as required by the immediate supervisor.
Pay Grade 5 (Hiring Range $18.24 to $24.17 per hour)
At the University of Richmond, we're creative, inclusive, and determined. We're Spiders, and our mission is to create positive change in the UR community and beyond. Located minutes from downtown Richmond, Virginia, the University of Richmond (URL blocked - click to apply) blends the intimacy of a small college with exceptional academic, research, and cultural opportunities usually found only at large institutions. There's only one place like Richmond.
UR is committed to developing a diverse faculty, staff and student body, and to modeling an inclusive campus community which values the expression of differences in ways that promote excellence in teaching, learning, personal development and institutional success. In keeping with this commitment, our academic community welcomes candidates from diverse backgrounds and candidates who support diversity. EOE