SUMMARY OF POSITION:
The Lead Driver operates refuse collection vehicles on pre-assigned and special routes to pick up garbage, yard waste, or recycling. Oversees work of helpers and drivers. assisting on assigned route; performs pre-trip and post-trip truck check and cleaning; and performs other related work as assigned. Work is performed under supervision and performance is reviewed while in progress and upon completion through direct observation of routes, and discussion of problem
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
1. Safely drives truck on pre-established route in accordance with Decision Driving principles within a prescribed time
2. Collects and dumps garbage and refuse into refuse trucks while covering a designated route in a residential or commercial zone. Unloads refuse trucks at the landfill, transfer station, or similar facility.
3. Provides Distinguishably Different level of service through courteous and expeditious customer service in all aspects of refuse operation to the general public and customers. Exhibits a positive attitude towards company, customer and municipal goals.
4. Ensures garbage and recyclables at residences are picked up and transferred properly; pick up may require using back door. Tags improper refuse containers and waste;
5. Answers questions for residents and directs them to contact Customer Service or appropriate government office for additional information.
6. Operates compaction and lift equipment on roll off, side, front, recycle and rear-loading refuse trucks;
7. Performs Daily Pre and Post Trip inspections as set forth by Waste Pro procedures and D.O.T. guidelines. Completes Safety Lane activity and DVIR daily in accordance with Waste Pro safety lane guidelines. Includes inspection under hood, check under carriage, check fluid levels and air tires.
8. Maintains clean truck and washes exterior weekly. Inspect/Clean Truck: Lift hood, inspect under the hood, walk around and check under carriage; pump gas, check fluid levels and air tires - Uses air gauge, dipstick for levels, and gas pump nozzle for gas fill.
9. Performs a variety of manual duties in the clean-up of scattered refuse; moves and empties large trash bins using truck hydraulics;
10. Prepares, maintains, and submits required company and regulation-mandated reports and documents;
11. Performs other tasks as required -- such as, but not limited to, assisting other routes for completion, attending community events, or delivery of bins and/or carts.
12. Responsible for all persons working on vehicle during the designated route.
13. Must comply with all Department of Transportation and State requirements for operators of commercial motor vehicles.
14. May be required to work during emergency situations.
15. Greet drivers upon their arrival to the yard, ensuring that pre / post trips are conducted, talking with drivers / helpers to share key service, safety, and equipment issues. Plan routes and address special needs for the day.
16. Share Decision Driving techniques and ensure that employees adhere to and are knowledgeable of Waste Pro safety guidelines.
17. Follow the routes to ensure that Waste Pro provides a Distinguishably Different level of service to customers. Respond to dispatch calls or messages submitted via the Trac-Ez system. Address customer service requests, complaints and inquiries by speaking with the resident or leaving a notice in their absence. Monitor large piles or appliances to ensure they are handled accordingly. Check on and pick up late put outs or missed pick-ups. Talk to the driver to clarify any unique requirements and to make him/her aware of the situation for the next day pickup. Interact with city or county government employees as needed.
18. Monitor driver's daily pre/post-trip inspections, address findings and ensure driver conducts proper inspections. Review all truck repair issues and address with shop manager to ensure mechanical issues are fixed. Participate in pre/post-trip inspections on occasion.
19. Complete a weekly vehicle inspection on each vehicle assigned to route. Ensure vehicles are maintained in a clean and safe manner, blades are clear of debris and paper, document and review findings with drivers/helpers.
20. Review weekly demand / volume for routes, determine potential gains from re-routing, and recommend re-routes to the routing specialist.
OTHER JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
* Employees in this job classification must attend and participate in corporation sponsored training courses as assigned.
* Employees in this job classification are responsible for keeping up to date on current technology, as job appropriate, being used by Waste Pro.
* Any additional job duties that may be assigned by the Supervisor.
* Works in a variety of environment conditions, including wide temperature and weather variations including heat, cold, snow, rain, wind; noise and vibrations, fumes, odors and dust.
* Requires a High School diploma or equivalent with a minimum of 3-5 years experience in the transportation, management, logistics or waste industry; or Associate's Degree with a minimum of 2 years experience in transportation, logistics, or solid waste operations in which coaching, routing assessments and supervising employees are requirements of the role.
* Knowledge and prior application of Smith System and/or Decision Driving principles and techniques
* Basic computer skills and general knowledge of Microsoft applications
* Previous supervisory or management experience preferred.
* Knowledge of OSHA, DOT, ANSI and other related federal, state & local regulations.
* Valid class A or B commercial driver's license
* Personal and business driving record that meets Waste Pro standards and insurance requirements.
* Excellent verbal & written communication skills.
* Proven customer service skills.
* Must be able to work independently and make decisions to resolve problems.
* Ability to work flexible schedules including weekends and be available to address operational issues by phone at all times.
* Knowledge of first aid techniques is preferred
Special Considerations/Physical Work Requirements: Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
* Drives truck on pre-established route, manual transmission, exposure to vibration.
* Ability to perform pushing, pulling, bending, lifting of up to 75 pounds throughout the shift with or without reasonable accommodations. As well as climb into and out of a truck without repeatedly.
* Empties garbage cans and container.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled