General Scope: Designs, develops, and help testing all aspects of mechanical components, equipment, and machinery by performing the following duties:
- Applies knowledge of engineering principles to design products used on maintenance of way equipment for the railroad industry.
- Involved in fabrication, operation, application, installation of mechanical products.
- Involved in the entire process, from sketching an idea through the manufacturing and testing of the finished product.
- Throughout development, the mechanical design engineer works with other design engineers to identify any areas of the design that need to be altered or improved.
- Required to analyzed and understand customer specifications and develop a workable machine layout from which designers can produce detailed sub assembly drawings.
- Compiles and analyzes operational, test, and research data to establish performance standards for newly designed or modified equipment or product.
- Plans and develops experimental test programs.
- Analyzes test data and reports to determine if design meets functional and performance specifications.
- Confers with research and other engineering personnel and prepares design modifications as required.
- Evaluates engineering test results for possible application to developments of systems or other uses.
- Familiar with a variety of the field's concepts, practices, and procedures used in the field of maintenance of way type of equipment.
- Prepare work orders, engine specifications, and all supporting documentation for the construction of machines.
- May require some traveling to customer job site to evaluate problems and report back to management with findings
- Relies on experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals.
- Performs a variety of complicated tasks.
- A wide degree of creativity and latitude is expected.
While not the supervisor of the department, the employee may be required to assign or direct the workload of other junior employees in the department.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
(The knowledge, skills and attributes required for satisfactory job performance)
May require a Master degree in engineering or similar discipline with 5 to 10 years of experience in the field of heavy equipment machinery design.
Knowledge: Incumbent must have proficient knowledge in the following areas:
- Knowledge of Engineering.
Skills: Incumbent must demonstrate or participate in internal/external training programs to obtain the following skills:
- Knowledge of the current ISO and ANSI (Y14) standards.
- Working knowledge of the metric system and geometric dimensioning and tolerance.
- Familiar with weldments, and machining operation.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret common scientific and technical journals, financial reports, and legal documents.
- Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from customers, regulatory agencies, or members of the business community.
- Ability to write articles for publication that conform to prescribed style and format.
- EIT certification advancing toward PE.
- Motivated and self-starter with the ability to work under deadlines.
- Ability to apply mathematical concepts such as Calculus and modern Algebra.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
- Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
- A.R.E.A., AAR, S.A.E. membership helpful but not required.
Applicable Technical Competencies: Incumbent must have working knowledge and demonstrated abilities utilizing mechanical knowledge: Specific applications combined with knowledge competencies are as follows: Rating Level: 1-5 (1= minimum 5= Maximum)
Required Level of proficiency
Preferred Level of proficiency
Autodesk Vault Professional 2018
Inventor Professional 2018
Personal Attributes: Incumbent must maintain strict confidentiality in performing the duties of a Mechanical Engineer III. The incumbent must also demonstrate the following personal attributes:
- Be honest and trustworthy
- Be respectful
- Possess cultural awareness and sensitivity
- Be flexible
- Demonstrate sound work ethics
% of Time
- Prepare machines layout drawing.
- Prepare technical write-up.
- Reviews engineering drawing and designs to ensure adherence to established standards.
- Works with Plant manager in identifying and resolve machine design issues.
- Analyzes product or equipment specifications and performance requirements to determine to appropriate design that meets the customer’s requirements.
- Verify that the final product meets the customer’s requirements
- Make sure that all regulations are met
- Write machines work order and any supporting material
- Interacts with Design Engineers to make sure that the design meets the loads that the components will be subjected to.
- Work with Purchasing and Production Planning to expedite components purchase on all long lead items.
The unavoidable, externally imposed conditions under which the work must be performed and which create
hardship for the incumbent including the frequency and duration of occurrence of physical demands, environmental conditions, demands on one’s senses and metal demands.
(The nature of physical effort leading to physical fatigue)
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand, walk, and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to climb or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds, and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, and ability to adjust focus.
(The nature of adverse environmental conditions affecting the incumbent)
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently exposed to moving mechanical parts. The employee is occasionally exposed to high, precarious places and fumes or airborne particles.
(The nature of demands on the incumbent’s senses)
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
(Conditions that may lead to mental or emotional fatigue)
There are a number of deadlines associated with this position, which may cause stress. The incumbent must also deal with a wide variety of people on various issues.