This position is a mid-career position for a lawyer. The lawyer will gain and use extensive experience in both the technical and operational sides of compliance-related issues. The successful candidate will be expected to become a nationally-recognized expert in compliance issues related to group health plans, and will be expected to display commensurate writing, analytical, and presentation skills. Some travel is required to Company offices, industry conferences, and client locations.
- Projects include monitoring federal statutes and regulations applicable to group health plans and drafting summaries;
- Drafting and reviewing participant explanatory material such as summary plan descriptions, announcement letters, summary of material modifications, plan documents, summaries of benefits and coverage, etc., including preparation of company models;
- Researching and drafting memos on technical issues for the Compliance Practice Leader;
- Train and mentor compliance associates and specialists as well as train benefit consultants and clients;
- Participating in marketing and business-development activities;
- Conduct compliance reviews concerning ERISA, Mental Health Parity and Addiction Equity Act, Affordable Care Act, and other federal health laws;
- Familiarity with state and local paid leave laws and Family and Medical Leave Act;
- May be required to attend client meetings to make technical compliance-related presentations or other tasks as requested by the National Health Compliance Practice Leader or benefit consultants;
- Make in-house and external presentations on new developments in legislation and regulation or other technical issues.
Candidates for this position should meet the following requirements:
- J.D. is required;
- 5-10 years of experience in compliance including positions in health/employee benefit compliance related roles;
- In-depth knowledge of ERISA and related health legislation and regulations;
- Knowledge of the Public Health Service Act and related health legislation and regulations;
- Knowledge of Medicare, Medicare Part D, and Medicare Advantage Programs, including Employer Group Waiver Plans
- Significant expertise in health care, including regulations of employee benefit plans, Health Insurance Exchanges, Medicare, and Medicaid;
- Familiarity with union environments;
- Excellent communication skills (oral/written);
- Excellent interpersonal/relationship-building skills and ability to collaborate with and positively influence others;
- Ability to quickly and effectively perform research involving federal and state legal issues;
- Employee benefits litigation experience is helpful;
- Experience at the US Departments of Labor, Treasury, or Health and Human Services is helpful.
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion at Segal:
We recognize that individuals bring a broad range of experience and abilities that go beyond the technical requirements of a job. If your experience and qualifications are close to what you see described here, we encourage you to apply. Diversity of employment, skills and life experience, combined with passion, are key to innovation and excellence. We encourage individuals, including but not limited to women, minorities, the disabled and protected veterans and those from all other backgrounds to apply to our positions. Please let us know if you require accommodation during the interview process and…thank you for considering Segal.
About Segal and its Total Rewards Program:
Segal is a privately owned, leading North American employee benefit, human resources and investment management consulting firm with over 80 years of history providing trusted advice that improves lives. Clients include public and private corporations, multiemployer trust funds, public sector entities, higher education institutions, institutional advisors, among many others.
Segal’s total rewards are part of what makes Segal a special place to work. The current salary range for this position is $130,000 to $178,000 plus opportunity for a discretionary performance bonus based on company profitability and employee performance of up to 25% for bonus target. In addition, Segal offers a comprehensive suite of benefits to include a non-contributory defined benefit pension plan, matching and discretionary contributions to a 401(k) profit sharing plan, medical and prescription benefits including contributions to a health savings account for eligible employees, dental benefits, life insurance, disability insurance, an Employee Assistance Program, wellness benefit reimbursements and rewards, and professional credential and tuition reimbursement. Segal also provides comprehensive paid time off including holidays, vacation days, sick leave, paid family leave and sabbaticals.
Segal is the right size, the right organization and…the right move for you! Please apply now.Primary Location:
Washington DC (12)
1800 M Street NW, Suite 900 S
Consulting – Other PracticesOrganization:
Regular EmployeeEmployee Status:
Experienced LevelJob Type:
Yes, 10 % of the TimeJob Posting:
Jan 23, 2023, 5:21:44 PM
- Health And Human Services