ABOUT THE JOB (JOB BRIEF)
**This position is remote/work from home capable from any state**
The Government Lending Manager is accountable for directly managing the production, workflow and performance of a team of government underwriters responsible for decisioning FHA and VA loans. The incumbent is an expert in government lending and has experience assembling a team, influencing product decisions, and identifying strategic growth opportunities. The ideal candidate has the ability to interface with senior leadership and provide strategic input while being intimately involved with managing daily production and performance. The incumbent will serve as a subject matter expert in government lending guidelines, policies, and procedures, and will make credit and collateral decisions based on company guidelines. The incumbent will interface with production staff in all business units regarding guidelines, trends, issues, concerns and turn times. This position will oversee workflow, help set workflow priorities, and track and monitor department performance daily.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS Underwriting
- Manage the day-to-day activities of the Government Underwriting team while providing leadership and direction to maintain efficiencies and acceptable turn times.
- Develop and maintain pipeline management mechanisms (underwriting) to ensure quality and timeliness of service relative to customer experience.
- Monitor quality assurance, productivity and efficiency of department; make adjustments to processes and procedures to meet business plan.
- Develop collaborative and effective relationships with peer leaders in the mortgage origination process including but not limited to, Sales, Secondary Market, Compliance, Risk and the third-party vendors in order to establish goals, deploy resources and achieve results and drive continuous improvement.
- Maintain a current knowledge of existing laws, statutes, regulations, ordinances, policies and procedures pertaining to real estate and mortgage lending. Ensure underwriting functions are performed in compliance with investor, regulatory, legal, and bank policies and procedures.
- Monitor and manage underwriter performance to production goals. Provide coaching and oversight for underwriters and/or underwriting vendors including ongoing training and feedback to underwriters
- Consults with Loan Officers and Sales Managers in connection with mortgage underwriting issues
Government Lending Oversight
- Underwriting mortgage loans for executive and management employee loans, as needed, in compliance with established policies and requirements; serve as a delegated or direct-endorsement underwriter and SAR appraisal reviewer within the requirements established by the investor, insurer or guarantor.
- Ensure Consumer Credit Policy and Procedure manual and Disaster Recovery Procedures are complete, current and compliant.
- Partner across the business to establish a government lending channel including Mortgage Fulfillment, Sales, Secondary Market, Compliance, Risk, Community Reinvestment Act (CRA), and others as needed.
- Establish government lending goals and monitor performance. Provide insights to scale the business relative to strategic goals and current performance.
- Stay abreast of regulations and procedures relating to the government lending and advises senior management of impact to the Company accordingly.
- Recruit, train, develop, mentor, coach and lead a high quality team of mortgage government underwriters in an environment that encourages employee participation in determining how to best serve clients, operate most efficiently, and achieve the financial goals.
- Provide strong leadership through action; enforcing positive behavior and timely decision making that derives its credibility from experience, confidence and proven success.
- Oversee and manage staffing hours and overtime to maintain productivity and client service levels.
- Recommend and implement ongoing training for continued professional development of both operations staff and sales.
- Lead Human Capital efforts in creating an “employer of choice” environment where recruiting top diverse talent, employee retention/development, career pathing, reward/recognition, and performance management execution are priorities for all department leaders.
- Establishes a culture of action-oriented teamwork with an atmosphere of open communication and continuous improvement.
- Demonstrates exceptional service philosophy in all interactions with customers, prospective customers and personnel in other internal departments.
- Exhibits accessibility to take on issues/concerns that need immediate attention.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS Experience
- Minimum 10 years of mortgage banking experience with recent mortgage government underwriting experience
- 4 years managerial experience required
- FHA Direct Endoresement and VA SAR/LAPP required
- Bachelor’s degree or 4 year equivalent preferred
- Strong knowledge of Ability-to Repay (ATR) and Know-Before You Owe (TRID) guidelines as well as ageneral knowledge of all mortgage and consumer lending regulations.
- In-depth knowledge in automated underwriting systems to include FNMA Desktop Underwriter, Freddie Mac Loan Prospector, and TOTAL Scorecard.
- Extensive knowledge of FNMA, FHLMC, FHA, and VA programs and underwriting guidelines, as well as those of other conventional investors, state/local bond programs and private mortgage insurers
- Ensure that each file complies with real estate regulatory requirements from origination to closing (RESPA, Reg Z, Truth in Lending Act, Fair Credit Reporting Act, Fair Lending, Reg B (ECOA),Reg C (HMDA), Flood Act, etc.) and make additional requirements as necessary
- Ensure operational compliance with applicable regulations and other guidance, Dodd-Frank, Sarbanes-Oxley, Patriot Act, Privacy Act, and other compliance and regulatory obligations.
- Working knowledge of Empower LOS a plus
- Understands deep and broad business acumen across mortgage operations
- Drives execution – quickly removes roadblocks; translates strategy into specific goals, tactics, action plans and deliverables.
- Gains the support and trust of the sales team so that day-to-day business activities are being implemented consistently and best practices are being leveraged and implemented.
- Accomplishes line of business objectives by establishing plans and results measurements; allocating resources; reviewing progress; making mid-course corrections
- Proven ability to attract, grow and retain talented employees; history of building high performing teams and organizations
- Proven track record of driving results in a fast-paced and continually changing environment
- Ability to leverage data to analyze performance, develop insights, and effectively partner with and direct analytical resources to optimize effectiveness of the fulfillment organization.
- Challenge mindset: ambitions exceed resources; openness to do things differently; provides thought leadership and strategic direction
- Excellent interpersonal, leadership and organizational skills, in addition to good written and verbal communication skills; Strong attention to detail.
- Independent thinking skills to weigh risk and make business decisions outside of standard underwriting guidelines
KeyCorp is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer committed to engaging a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive culture. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status.
Qq Kbe Xqq