Researches, designs, develops and/or modifies enterprise-wide systems and/or applications software.
1. Designs and codes software components, units, and modules that meet product specifications and development schedules.
2. Performs systems modeling, simulation, and analysis.
3. Tests and debugs assigned components and units.
4. Participates in large system and subsystem planning.
5. Collaborates with hardware engineers on machine characteristics that affect software systems and works with them to resolve incompatibilities.
6. Writes and updates technical documentation such as user manuals, system documentation, and training materials.
7. Troubleshoots problems and provides customer support for software operating systems and application issues.
8. Advises hardware engineers on machine characteristics that affect software systems, such as storage capacity, processing speed, and input/output requirements.
9. Maintains current knowledge of relevant technology as assigned.
10. Participates in special projects as required.
The Software Engineer will design, develop, code, test, and debug complex new software products, or make significant enhancements to existing software. The ideal candidate is a hands-on platform builder with significant experience in developing scalable data platforms, with experience in business intelligence, analytics, data science and data products. They must have strong, firsthand technical expertise in a variety of configuration management and big data technologies and the proven ability to fashion robust scalable solutions that can manage large data sets. They must be at ease working in an agile environment with little supervision. This person should embody a passion for continuous improvement and innovation.
Bachelors Degree in Computer Science, Engineering or a related technical discipline, or the equivalent combination of education, technical training, or work/military experience.
5-8 years of related software development experience.
- Hands-on experience working with Hadoop, Hive, Pig, Map Reduce, Spark, Rabbit MQ, Kafka, Flume.
- DevOps experience building and deploying cloud infrastructure with technologies like ansible, chef, puppet, etc.
- Experience with test-driven development and automated testing frameworks.
- Experience with Scrum/Agile development methodologies.
- Capable of delivering on multiple competing priorities with little supervision.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Were looking for someone with 3-5 years of experience and is familiar with the following software/tools:
- Experience with infrastructure automation technologies like Docker, Vagrant, etc.
- Experience with build automation technologies like Maven, Jenkins, etc.
- Experience with monitoring technologies like Nagios, Ganglia, etc.
- Experience with modern programming languages like Java, Python, etc.
- Experience with building APIs and services using REST, SOAP, etc.
- Experience with Elastic Search and relational databases.
- Analyze, design and develop tests and test-automation suites.
- Design and develop a processing platform using various configuration management technologies.
- Test software development methodology in an agile environment.
- Provide ongoing maintenance, support and enhancements in existing systems and platforms.
- Collaborate cross-functionally with data scientists, analyst, project managers and other engineers
- Troubleshoots complex problems and provides customer support for software systems and application issues.
- Provide recommendations for continuous improvement.
- Work alongside other engineers on the team to sustain and advance our organizations capabilities
For more than 50 years, General Dynamics Information Technology has served as a trusted provider of information technology, systems engineering, training and professional services to customers across federal, state, and local governments, and in the commercial sector. Over 40,000 GDIT professionals deliver enterprise solutions, manage mission-critical IT programs and provide mission support services worldwide. GDIT is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status, or any other protected class.