Under the supervision of the manager or designee, this position is responsible for organizing patient medical records, and performing receptionist duties, as well as other related duties necessary for the effective and efficient operation and maintenance of Patient Care Units. Responsibilities PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES(*Essential Functions) Performs Admission, transfer and discharge process. Confers with the Registered Nurse regarding scheduling patients for activities in the Electronic Medical Record. Answers telephone, intercom, door and patient call systems promptly and courteously. Takes messages accurately, by using good communication skills and direct call to appropriate person. Assembles and maintains patient medical records in an appropriate sequence. Monitors location of charts and prepares charts/copies in anticipation of admission. Maintains chart forms in the event of computer downtime. Processes patient and unit charges and orders designated supplies and equipment via CIS and/or manually. Receives and places items/orders in their storage area. Performs real time chart audit/chart compliance as instructed by the department manager/team lead. Enter the completed unit schedule into the excel document and forward to Director/Manager for approval. Once signed off, schedule is forwarded to staffing office. Notify consults of the need to see a patient by managing consult system list in Epic. Inventory unit specific equipment daily (teleboxes and cables, spectralinks). Cleaning of equipment (Dinamaps, IV pumps) as may be assigned. Cleaning of utility rooms and supply rooms. Restock isolation cabinets and supply carts. Round on vacant rooms hourly and complete log. Notify EVS if needed to clean. Hang new rounding log weekly. Performs other related duties as assigned and requested according to unit specific practices. OB Department Specific- Accurately complete and enter infant birth and death data in the state electronic birth/death certificate logs. Complete Paternity affidavit and submit to Board of Health and electronically submit to the state as required. Accurately complete deliver log and nursery log that are maintained on the unit. Qualifications JOB SPECIFICATIONS(Minimum Requirements)
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES EDUCATION
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and proven demonstrated ability for positive interaction with patients, co-workers, and the public.
- Ability to maintain patient confidentiality.
- Ability to work independently and complete assigned tasks in a team environment.
- Must be able to coordinate several activities in a timely manner and multi-task.
- Ability to work flexible hours as required.
- Successful completion of medical terminology course and secretary course, preferably unit secretary.
STANDARDS OF BEHAVIOR
- High School Diploma/GED Equivalent General Studies Required
- At least two years experience with Clinical Information System in a patient care setting.
- 1 General - Entry-level/ General Preferred
- 2 Healthcare/Medical - Clinical Assistants Required
Meets the Standards of Behavior as outlined in Personnel Policy and Procedure #1, Employee Relations Code. CONFIDENTIALITY/HIPAA/CORPORATE COMPLIANCE
Demonstrates knowledge of procedures for protecting and maintaining security, confidentiality and integrity of employee, patient, family, organizational and other medical information. Understands and supports the commitment of Methodist Hospitals in adhering to federal, state and local laws, rules and regulations governing ethical business practices for healthcare providers. DISCLAIMER
- The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. The statements are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required.
- Certified Nurse Practitioner
- Clinical Works
- Health Care