Operations Management Trainee
Formed in 1924, Cowan Systems enjoys a history of excellence and quality in the transportation industry. We specialize in providing high quality dedicated fleet services for companies requiring first-rate performance. Cowan Systems is seeking a full time Operations Management Trainee for our corporate office in Baltimore, Maryland. Qualified candidates are detail orientated, thorough, professional, and have experience with customer service and data entry related tasks.
The Operations Management Trainee role is an exciting new opportunity within our Asset Division that will allow participants to learn the transportation business from the bottom up and gain the skills necessary to successfully build a career with Cowan Systems in Fleet Management. We provide thorough training both on the job and in the classroom and participants will have room for growth and advancement within the organization as well as a competitive base salary. The trainee starts their initial 6 week training period in Halethorpe, MD where you will learn the basics of the Transportation Industry and Cowan Systems. This will be followed by 8 weeks of training with or Safety, Maintenance, Payroll, and Billing departments where you will learn the back office side of the business. Finally you will rotate through several of our many operations throughout the country for 6 weeks to finish out their training hands on. Your education will carry on long after you have left the formal training phase of the Operations Management program once assigned to a home terminal you will receive further training specific to the operation prior to assuming the role of Fleet Manager or Fleet Planner within the assigned operation. Once the employee reaches this phase, more doors of opportunity open as the employee continues to evaluate their interests and career goals. There is no such thing as a typical day for our Operations Management Trainee’s, every day is different and every day brings with it a new set of challenges.
This job may have periodic leadership / management responsibilities throughout the program.
- Maintain highest driver relationship and satisfaction of new and tenured drivers by:
- Actively onboarding new drivers following the 12 week onboarding process
- Regularly reviewing driver scorecards in order to ensure drivers are meeting performance and income goals
- Auditing driver manifests for pay accuracy and workload balance
- Advocate for driver in relation to executable plans
- Effectively communicate policy changes, schedule changes, etc. to the fleet.
- Participate in driver mentoring and driver appreciation activities as prescribed by the Terminal Manager
- Complete a driver ride along Bi-annually and participate in pre-trip inspections with drivers on a regular basis.
- Coach and counsel your Fleet in the areas of; productivity, customer care and service, attendance, and company rules.
- Confirm driver plans with drivers (Via Qualcomm and or phone) providing driver with any required information to complete the assignment including special load requirements (Hazmat, specialty equipment, etc.)
- Assist managers with driver face to face check in of drivers, and correct verification of driver paper work against entries in TMW systems.
- Communicate with drivers and educate them on how to complete forms accurately and on time.
- Data entry, scanning, indexing, and filing of driver payroll ensuring all records are submitted accurately and on time.
- Promote culture of safety in all daily activities by proactively address safety concerns by communicating safety goals and standards to all drivers, providing resources for safety concern resolution.
- Ensure Fleet is in compliance with DOT requirements for hours of service and driver fitness before dispatch. Assist in coordination of compliance activities including the scheduling of physicals and submission of required documentation.
- Data entry, scanning, indexing, and filing of accident reports, driver hours of service records, licenses, physicals, and other safety and compliance related documents ensuring all records are submitted accurately and on time.
- Sort and assemble customer paper work, bill of ladings, load diagrams, and other documentation required for freight shipment.
- Monitor driver progress throughout the shift to ensure on time dispatch and delivery of freight as planned, addressing and notifying the customer of any delays or issues.
- Address all customer needs and concerns as they arise during shift and escalating any customer issues requiring a higher level of involvement to the Operations Manager or Terminal Manager.
- Work closely with Fleet Managers and Customer Service Representatives to ensure proper documentation is received for all freight movements and provide customer support for requested back-up documentation.
- Assist with fleet planning and the creation of an executable freight delivery plan that meets the service requirements of our customer and ensure our revenue goals for each driver.
- Assist with securing backhauls for any non-dedicated freight lanes daily, by working with other departments as well as using DAT and booking freight.
- Assist with tracking, updating, and closing of loads using Total Mail and TMW systems to communicate with drivers and update freight movements. Notify fleet management of any discrepancies noted or missing documentation in the system for late deliveries, detention, or other accessorial charges
- Assist with planning for on time delivery to ensure customer goals are being met for service by providing fleet management with expectations and updated special load requirements as dictated by the customer.
- Effectively dispatch a fleet using proper procedures for real time management of freight and drivers ensuring high level of data accuracy within the system.
- Identify and communicate assessorial charges to be collected for detention, storage, rescheduled deliveries, lumper charges, etc. by properly documenting in TMW.
- Collect and inspect driver manifest and other necessary documentation necessary to pay the driver and invoice the customer upon the completion of each driver shift to include bill of ladings and lumper receipts.
- Review revenue per truck per day and perform quarterly fleet performance reviews with Terminal Manager and Operations Manager to identify areas of opportunity and develop improvement plan as needed to address deficiencies.
- Review daily revenue and driver pay to ensure efficiency, utilization and driver compensation goals are met. Identify areas of opportunity, develop improvement plan as needed with Terminal Manager or Operations Manager.
- Perform all general clerical duties such as answering phones, data entry, e-mail, scanning and indexing of documents, copying, filing and maintaining accurate records for driver payroll and billing.
- Perform periodic inspections of company equipment to identify unreported maintenance issues and accident damage. Participate in pre-trip inspections with drivers on a regular basis.
- Data entry, scanning, indexing, and filing of vehicle condition reports, driver daily vehicle inspections and other maintenance and asset related documents ensuring all records are submitted accurately and on time.
- Maintain, track, and report appropriate equipment levels daily at all customer locations. Based on need requesting adjustments where necessary to ensure optimum equipment utilization.
- Collaborates with all frontline managers to learn the day-to-day business operations (i.e. Terminal Manager, Operations Manager, Fleet Planner, Fleet Manager, Terminal Administrative Clerk)
- Collaborates with all Support Teams and Management to learn the day-to-day business support operations (i.e. Safety, Maintenance, Billing, Sales, Payroll, IT)
- Completes the assigned Operations Management Training curriculum and all other assigned trainings
- This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required for the position. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
- 2 years of work experience
- Associates degree is preferred
- Computer applications experience and proficiency in Microsoft Office
- Excellent customer service, problem solving, and decision making skills
- Must be punctual and reliable with the ability to work off hours as dictated by the business
- Must be able to ride in vehicle for up to 12 hours or sit at a desk for up to 12 hours per day
- Ability to develop a working knowledge of all terminal operation aspects
- Travel Required: This position requires extensive travel through assigned work activities and projects.
- Relocation within the region at the conclusion of the training program is required
- Prior leadership experience highly desired
- Frequently required to sit, stand, walk, talk, hear, operate a computer keyboard, and speak on the telephone. Must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds
- Customer Focused: Passionate drive to meet the needs of our customers and offer unique solutions that deliver on their expectations
- The ability to motivate and lead drivers to meet and exceed the customers’ expectations and the goals of the company
- Self-starter willing to quickly adapt, prioritize, and organize. Ability to manage a process from start to finish
- Ability to set clear expectations and work with others to accomplish specific goals
- Effective and professional verbal and written communication skills
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Judgement and decision making considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate action
- Complex problem solving and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions
- Superior communication to include speaking, active listening and conveying information effectively
- Monitoring/assessing performance of self and other individuals to make improvements or implement corrective action
Cowan Systems offers a competitive, customizable benefits package including but not limited to:
- Medical insurance with an HSA option, dental and vision
- Life Insurance
- Short and Long Term Disability
- Dependent Care Flexible Spending
- 401K Retirement Savings Plan with Employer Match
- Paid Holidays
- Paid Time Off
- Competitive, Weekly Pay
- Active Listening
- Assembly And Installation
- Attention To Detail