We’re a Little Different
Our mission is clear. We bring to life a healing ministry through our compassionate care and exceptional service.
At Mercy, you’ll feel our supportive community every step of your day, especially the tough ones. We’re a team and love working that way. We have opportunities for nurses who are inspired to pioneer new models of care and want to transform the healthcare experience. Work with advanced technology and innovative procedures. Be state of the art, and never stop exploring. We’re expanding to help our communities grow, offering an exceptional opportunity to join our team.
The Telephone Nurse Consultant responds to incoming calls and other media contacts to provide telephonic medical advice, consultation, referrals and assistance as authorized in accordance with standard guidelines and procedures. Independently triages calls based on the customer medical condition and care requirements based on extensive Registered Nurse training and experience. Utilizes high level skills and advanced competency in nursing judgment while accessing an integrated telephonic and computer system to provide services, conduct presentations, provide education and introduction to Mercy care standards. Coordinates services with departmental staff and other departments to provide efficient and effective healthcare services. Performs duties and responsibilities in a manner consistent with Mercy's mission, values and service standards.
1. Responds to incoming telephone calls and contacts using advanced nursing competency and computerized telephonic system in accordance with guidelines, operating procedures and Mercy Service Standards. E-scribes per Epic process following approved processes.
2. Assesses appropriately and prioritizes the caller's needs, triages medical conditions, provides medical advice and consultation as authorized, contacts physicians offices to arrange appointments as required.
3. Addresses emergencies and complex medical conditions in a clam, efficient and appropriate manner utilizes considerable judgment and decision making in a reliable, accurate and timely manner as authorized.
4. Refers or transfers calls to leaders or other staff based on established guidelines or in accordance with sound judgment. Makes case management or disease management referrals following assessment of need.
5. Documents calls in an accurate and timely manner using the electronic healthcare record system and other systems as necessary; follows-up on calls with correspondence or other means as needed to complete transactions.
6. Advises the leader of complaints or other problems to ensure proper resolution.
7. Collaborates with department staff on best practices and recommends service, system and procedural improvements.
8. Cooperates with staff and other departments and completes team projects as necessary.
9. Maintains required certification and skills by completing the appropriate education and training.
10. Performs other responsibilities.Qualifications:
Because you’re committed to excellence, you understand the importance of being properly prepared for your role at Mercy. That’s why you’ll bring to your role the right set of qualifications:
- We require a nursing degree from an accredited school.
- You’ll also need a current RN license in our state.
- Basic life support training should be completed in 90 days with advanced training required at certain intervals.
Licensure: Registered Nurse license in state of residence. Within six months will obtain multi-state licenses of Mercy Footprint.
Experience: Five years general nursing experience in a hospital or clinic setting including utilization of computer and familiarization with electronic health record systems. Experience with multiple software applications and screens optimal. Many have minimum of three years experience in the emergency department or pediatrics to be considered.
Other: Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities: Competent typing ability; pleasant telephone voice with excellent listening and communication skills; ability to remain calm in crisis situations; good problem solving and organization skills; excellent work record; working knowledge of Microsoft Windows and Office applications.
We’ll Support You at Work and Home
Getting respect doesn’t come easy in healthcare. Modern Healthcare Magazine named us as a “top 100 places to work.” We go out of our way to help people feel welcomed. We offer day-one comprehensive health, vision and dental coverage, PTO, and employer-matched retirement funds, even to part-time employees. We’re proud to provide tuition reimbursement to help you grow and learn new skills.
What Makes a Good Match for Mercy
Compassion and professionalism go hand-in-hand with us. Having a positive outlook and a strong sense of advocacy is in perfect step with our mission and vision. We’re also collaborative and are not afraid to do a little extra to deliver excellent care-that’s just part of our commitment. If that sounds like a fit for you as well, we encourage you to apply.
Registered Nurse Certified
Complex Problem Solving