The Patient Care Secretary is a skilled secretarial person whose job is to support the work of the Team Manager and who is generally responsible for accomplishing all patient care related clerical procedures.
- Screens telephone calls for Team Manager. Facilitates communication between patients/families and other team members, including volunteers.
- Takes and keeps daily schedule for all team members.
- Attends weekly team meetings. Prepares agenda for team meeting. Follows through on assignments given by the Team Manager.
- Establishes, maintains, and closes patient charts in an orderly fashion. This may include but is not limited to the mailing of and follow-up on all required documentation such as Plans-Of-Care, Attending Physician Authorization forms and Medical Information Request forms.
- Provides back-up documentation to Billing Department routinely and as requested.
- Orders D.M.E. and maintains record of dates ordered and picked-up.
- Enters patient care and volunteer data into Vx and event tracking.
- Communicates with staff and outside agencies as directed by Team Manager.
- When the program utilizes part time staff, the PCS will maintain a list of all part-time staff jointly with other patient care secretaries. Contacts and schedules part-time staff at the direction of Team Manager.
- Jointly with other patient care secretaries, orders supplies and documentation forms used by the team.
- Does routine correspondence for Team Manager and other members of the team.
- Sorts and processes all patient care mail jointly with other patient care secretaries.
- Maintains A.D.T. and checks census daily for accuracy.
- In programs that have more than one patient care secretary, they will cover for each other for lunch, for team meetings, and for other short intervals of absence.
- Handles other tasks as assigned by the Team Manager.
- Three years prior work experience preferred.
- Good typing skills.
- Computer literate.
- Able to handle multiple tasks.
- Excellent communication skills
- Good telephone skills
- High school graduate or equivalent required.
SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS TO CANDIDATES
VITAS® Healthcare is the nation’s leading provider of end-of-life care, and has the resources and expertise to support your personal and professional growth. As a member of the VITAS team, you’ll find fulfillment working for a people-focused organization dedicated to making a difference in the lives of others. You will be more than just an employee: You will be counted on as an expert in your field, and as a valued team member whose efforts are respected and vital to our hospice mission.
All VITAS employees commit to fulfilling their duties and responsibilities with the highest regard for professionalism, collaboration and teamwork, and an eye focused constantly on growth and improvement. We serve with commitment and compassion, and position ourselves for the future by embracing, innovating, and leading change. If you are that person, make your voice heard—find your purpose at VITAS today.
- Competitive compensation
- Health, dental, vision, life and disability insurance
- Pre-tax healthcare and dependent care flexible spending accounts
- Life insurance
- 401(k) plan with numerous investment options and generous company match
- Cancer and/or critical illness benefit
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Paid Time Off
- Employee Assistance Program
- Legal Insurance
- Roadside Assistance
- Affinity Program
Many of our positions offer the opportunity to work day or night shifts, weekdays or weekends.
Choose a Career with VITAS
- Computer Literacy
- Health Care
- Secretarial Experience
- Stress Management