The registered nurse provides nursing careaccording to the physician’s orders and in conformance with the ANA Standardsof Practice and Care, ANA Code of Ethics, unit specific standards, patient carepolicies and procedures, unit specific policies and procedures, and theLouisiana Nurse Practice Act. The RN isresponsible and accountable for individual, autonomous nursing practice anddetermines the appropriate delegation of tasks and nursing activities inaccordance with the Nurse Practice Act.
The nurse may be placed in the charge nurse role.
ESSENTIAL DUTIESAND RESPONSIBILITIES:
§ The Specialty RN will fulfill all essentialduties and responsibilities of the RN job description below as well as thefollowing:
1. Will be aresource to other units within the hospital for specific patient care needs includingbut not limited to, administering chemotherapy, providing specialized surgical/proceduralintervention and/or responding to Codes and RRT’s.
2. These nurses will maintain their skills and knowledgeas well as applicable certifications within their specialty.
§ The Registered Nurse will perform acomprehensive nursing assessment, develop and implement a patient treatmentplan consistent with the objectives of the multi-disciplinary treatment plan
§ The patient and family members will be includedin the patient care planning and setting of discharge objective
§ Implements nursing care through services such ascase management, health instructions, health counseling, and providing caresupportive to restorative of life and well being
§ In executing the health care regimens asprescribed by licensed physicians, dentist, or other authorized prescriber, theRN performs a comprehensive nursing assessment of a individual patientconsistent with established standards of care, identifies health care needs,establishes appropriate nursing diagnosis, establishes goal to meet theidentified health care need, plans nursing care measures, documentsappropriately, interprets data accurately in relation to patient careconsideration, sets priorities, communicates with all members of the healthcare team, delegates nursing interventions to qualified personnel in accordancewith State Board of Nursing criteria
§ The RN collaborates with physicians, dentists,and other health care providers in the management of the patient’s care andevaluates the human responses to all interventions
§ Provides individualized health education to thepatient and family members from admission through discharge using anyappropriate methods/resources necessary to meet the education goals, preparesthe patient for diagnostic or surgical procedures, implements holistictherapeutic measures to promote healing and wellness
§ Communicates effectively with all age groups,which pertains to the patient population served
§ Demonstrates competency and knowledge of currentstandards of practice, administers treatments as per standards, interpretsnormal parameters of diagnostic data, reports abnormalities of diagnostic datain a timely manner, administers blood and blood components as per standards,and interprets the appropriate information needed to identify each patient’srequirements relative to the age-specific needs
§ Documents accurately and completely in the EMRand other forms as per established standards.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and abilities required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Maintains current licensure as Registered Nurse in the State of Louisiana
• Maintains current BLS Certification
• ICU: ACLS required within 6 months of hire.
• Emergency: ACLS required within 6 months of hire and PALS required within 12 months of hire.
• Advanced certification preferred if appropriate for area of clinical practice
• Must comply with all Standards of Behavior
• Prompt and regular attendance according to policy
• Comply with dress code and appearance standards
• Interact with patients, customers, the general public, management, and team members in a professional, courteous, and tactful manner
• Work with integrity, uphold LGH’s mission, values, and maintain confidentiality in all situations
• Follow safety & security policies &procedures, immediately report suspicious activities and unsafeconditions. Use equipment, tools &materials properly; use and/or wear appropriate personal protective equipment(PPE)
• Participate in all mandatory job training andmeetings as directed
• Adhereto requirements, policies and procedures outlined in the Employee Handbookand/or other Hospital/Clinic practices.
• Maintains satisfactory relations with otherdepartments and nursing units.
• Maintains acceptable standards of patient care.
• Exercises appropriate use of UniversalPrecautions, personal protective equipment, and other safety guidelines/regulationsas required by OSHA and other enforcement agencies
• General office equipment
• Diagnostic testing equipment
• Various types of medical instruments &equipment.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKINGCONDITIONS:
• MediumWork as defined by the U.S. Department of Labor constitutes a maximum lift of21-50 pounds on occasion and/or a maximum lift of 11-25 pounds on a frequentbasis
• Maybe required to assist in the turning, lifting, or moving patients as well as
walking about from patients’ rooms, aswell as to and from various hospital areas
Electronic Medical Record
Arm Hand Steadiness
Conducting Physical Examinations