To begin the application process, please enter your email address.
Company Contact Info
- Columbia, MO
Sorry, we cannot save or unsave this job right now.
Report this Job
Saving Your Job Alert
Job Alert Saved!
Could not save Job Alert!
You have too many Job Alerts!
This email address has reached the maximum of 5 email alerts. To create a new alert, you will need to log into your email and unsubscribe from at least one.
Email Send Failed!
Technician Grossing I - Columbia, MO req24336
Quest Diagnostic Health and Wellness • Columbia, MO
Posted 2 months ago
Schedule: Monday through Friday
4 pm to 12:30 am
Look for more than answers. Patients and Physicians rely on our diagnostic testing, information and services to help them make better healthcare decisions. These are often serious decisions with far reaching consequences, and require sensitivity, tact and a clear dedication to service. It’s about providing clarity and hope.
As a Lab Technician you will work for the world leader in the industry, with a career where you can expand your skills and knowledge. You’ll have a role where you can act with professionalism, you can inspire colleagues, and you can care about the work we do and the people we serve.
At Quest, Lab Technicians play an essential role in our success and in the services we provide. As a career, we offer a unique opportunity to develop your career with the #1 Diagnostic Lab in the US. We are tech driven, and we’re creating the lab of the future – an environment where you can deliver cutting edge diagnostics and help us drive new discoveries and breakthroughs.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Perform routine and non-routine activities involved in the preparation of surgical specimens for Histologic processing, according to policies and procedures.
- Assure appropriate specimen accessioning and labeling.
- Maintain the integrity of the specimen and patient identification.
- Describe gross anatomic features of routine, uncomplicated surgical specimens, ensuring that all lesions, markings and sutures are mentioned.
- Capable of grossing moderate to high complex/complicated specimens under direct and indirect supervision, as applicable to training and experience.
- Demonstrated ability to handle broader range of specimens with indirect supervision (i.e., gall bladders, oriented skin lesions, etc.).
- May oversee performance of Grossing Technician I.
- Escalates non-routine, complicated surgical specimens to Pathologist Assistants.
- Record measurements, weight, volume and any abnormal findings as applicable.
- Dissect surgical specimens and prepare tissues for histologic processing.
- May be trained to perform basic Histology functions (i.e., embedding, microtomy, routine and special stains and frozen sectioning) if personnel meet all requirements as outlined in corporate Minimum Qualifications for Histotechnician SOP.
- Complete all associated paperwork (i.e., workload recording, PM/temperature charts, etc.)
- Follow the laboratory?s applicable procedures for job-related responsibilities.
- Interact directly with pathologists regarding gross dissection/description activities, including defined specimen types that require direct supervision by a pathologist.
- Identify problems that may adversely affect test performance or reporting of test results and either correct the problems or immediately notify the histology supervisor/manager, technical supervisor, or director.
- Ensure all corporate safety, quality control and quality assurance standards are met.
- Ensure compliance with all local, federal, CLIA and CAP regulations.
- Comply with all required Quest Diagnostics corporate continuing education requirements.
- Maintain a clean and well-organized work area.
- Other duties, as assigned by supervisor.
- Minimum: A.S. degree or equivalent training and experience
- Preferred: B.S. degree or equivalent training and experience
- Minimum: Meets all requirements as outlined in corporate Minimum Qualifications for Personnel Performing Tissue Gross Examinations SOP and 1988 CLIA CFR 493.1489
- Preferred: 3 years of histology and/or surgical gross experience
Physical and Mental Requirements:
- Extensive use of hands and eyes.
- Long periods of sitting.
- Must be able to make accurate assessments of diagnostic material under stressful conditions.
- Work environment involves exposure to potentially dangerous materials (formaldehyde).