Will lead the day to day activities of engineers and technicians to ensure the safe and reliable Transmission and Distribution (T&D) operations of a defined region. This includes working with the System Integrity group to identify system improvements within a defined region. The Lead Engineer will review, analyze and coordinate complex planned construction projects, voltage conversions, maintenance requirements and responses to system disturbances related to the operation of the Transmission & Distribution (T&D) System. Approve planned outages and clearance requests. Coordinate work with other departments within UI and other outside system operators (e.g. ISO, CONVEX, Eversource). Lead teams/projects that solve complex problems taking and Able to work independently with guidance on only the most complex tasks. Participates and represents UI on Industry associations.
• Perform detailed, complex system analyses, designs and calculations using standard methodology & principles & other viable approaches. Develop alternate methods or design concepts to resolve problems or to improve processes/services.
• Solves complex system operating problems. Utilizes a broad prospective to identify innovative solutions. (e.g. outages, system disturbances, power quality, load flow studies, maintenance recommendations).
• Able to create work requests and work in Global SAP platform
• Prepare, maintain, & understand drawings (e.g. schematics, one-line diagrams). Develop & specify equipment, assemble documents & other requirements for assignments of complex level of difficulty using depth & breadth of expertise in own discipline.
• Serve as SME for Operations system/components (e.g. SCADA). Review and evaluate proposals and projects. Interpret internal/external business issues and recommend best practices and/or process improvements.
• Able to lead a Team or mentor others. Demonstrated performance as an Electric System Operations Engineer
• Anticipates & make recommendations with respect to customer & stakeholder needs.
• Explains difficult concepts & influences others either orally or in writting. May be required to make presentations to regulatory/public entities.
• Lead Operations teams to complete assigned tasks, conversions and projects.
• Assist in guiding and mentoring engineers in Operations, Manages and provides direction for resources outside of the department.
• Leads others to resolve complex system operating problems in non-std situations & develop creative solutions.
• Independently apply design stds., industry codes, design criteria, & UI polices/procedures. (e.g. planned system outage and clearance requests)
• Duties: Possesses an in depth knowledge and interprets processes and standards related to Operations and underground residential designs (URD). Represents Operations on projects, task forces and studies. (e.g. EEI, EPRI, ISO).
• Develop business cases & manage projects/processes/initiatives or teams in accordance with applicable UI / Avangrid guidelines. Coordinate phases of Operations work for assigned portions of a project/program. (e.g. clearance requests).
Skills and Requirements
• Forecast, plan, schedule, monitor, control budget/estimates, for assigned tasks or projects.
• Assist in the management of resource allocation including developing forecasts and plans to insure adequate resources are available.
• Experience in distribution design engineering and operations along with knowledge of internal/external business and regulatory issues (e.g. design criteria, standards, NESC).
• Maintains knowledge of leading edge techniques or technology through participation in professional associations.
• Able to explain difficult concepts and influence others to change.
Education & Experience Required:
Requires a bachelor's degree in an engineering discipline from an ABET (or equivalent) accredited college/university, 4+ years experience performing engineering duties or an AS degree with 8+ years experience performing engineering duties. Specialized advanced training is also required (e.g. PTI. WPI , PUI, a graduate level engineering degree).
- Develop Self & Others
- Empower to grow
- Collaborate and Share
- Be a role model
- Focus to achieve results
- Be agile
Avangrid employees may be assigned a system emergency role and in the event of a system emergency, may be required to work outside of their regular schedule/job duties. This is applicable to employees that will work in Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, and New York within AVANGRD Network and Corporate functions. This does not include those that will work for Avangrid Renewables
AVANGRID’s employment practices and policies are geared to hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive culture. At AVANGRID we provide fair and equal employment and advancement opportunities for all employees and candidates regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, protected veteran status or any other status protected by federal, state, or local law. Learn more about equal employment by following this link
If you are an individual with a disability or a disabled veteran who is unable to use our online tool to search for or to apply for jobs, you may request a reasonable accommodation by contacting our Human Resources department at 203-499-2777 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Process Improvements (Business)