Do you like being active and working outside? Come join our team!
The Solid Waste division for the City of Olathe strives to impact the lives of our citizens, we service over 40,000+ homes weekly.
General Laborers are needed to learn and perform the activities and operations of the assigned solid waste collection work group by the collection of residential, commercial, curbside recycling and bulky item refuse. Pickup of material may be by manual, semi-automated or automated methods.
Bonus Points if You Have:
Experience & Education
- Perform general manual labor tasks for Solid Waste Collection.
- Assist to complete daily route assignments and transport refuse to the Solid Waste Transfer Station or approved disposal/recycling/composting facility as directed; assist in the forecast of equipment needs and vehicle maintenance as necessary.
- Assist to prepare vehicle for daily operations by conducting a pre-operation inspection of the vehicle and equipment to evaluate proper working condition.
- Assist to clean inside and outside of vehicle when needed; make minor repairs and adjustments when required; coordinate with supervisor for proper maintenance to be performed.
- Accept a responsible role in implementing the safety culture of the department; ensure the adherence of safe work practices and procedures; ensure compliance of Federal, State and local laws, codes and regulations.
- Cooperate with immediate supervisors to ensure all customer service requests are resolved; respond to public inquiries in a courteous manner; provide information within the area of assignment; resolve complains in an efficient and timely manner.
- Adhere to established work standards to ensure alignment with City goals and mission.
Here's What You Need:
Experience: 1 year of consistent work experience.
Education: High School diploma or GED preferred.
Qualifications: Must be 18 years of age, able to work outside in increment weather conditions, with the physical ability for prolonged lifting, walking, bending, stooping, and kneeling.
Licenses: Must have favorable valid drivers license.
Must successfully pass a pre-employment background check, physical, and drug screen.
Why Work for Us:
A position in Public Works is more than a job – you'll become a member of our family. We are hard-working and reliable professionals who work behind the scenes to make sure our community's infrastructure needs are met. We are essential. Come join us!