Requisition ID: 117099
Job Level: Mid Level
Department: Design Engineering
Employment Type: Full Time
Kiewit Infrastructure Engineering (KIE) has an immediate opening for a dynamic Civil and Site Engineer in our growing Design Engineering Group. You will be part of our rapidly growing Infrastructure Design Department, which includes structural, geotechnical, MOT, civil, drainage, roadway, rail, traffic, and materials disciplines, is a multi-faceted and leading-edge division of Kiewit with best-in-class technical expertise focused on the design-build delivery of infrastructure projects.
Kiewit Infrastructure Engineering's Design Build Management team are driving clients to turn to Kiewit during all stages of design-build projects to manage their multi-disciplined design teams to improve schedule, control costs and minimize risk. Our construction-driven engineers analyze root causes and resolve design issues before they impact schedule and budget. Particularly on large design-build projects, clients benefit from the proven processes and tools used by Kiewit to minimize project risk. We are an in-house resource that supports projects throughout the company. Our staff shares experiences gained, innovative concepts, and design best practices for all projects that we support.
Our participation leads to safe, cost effective, and innovative designs that achieve client expectations and further Kiewit’s legacy of excellence.
On our team, you’ll have the opportunity to see more, touch more, and do more than you ever imagined. Working hard will not only bring you satisfaction from a job well done, but it will help propel your career forward faster than you might expect. We will train you, develop your skills, and allow you to take on projects that impact millions across North America. With top-notch health benefits, a wealth-building 401k plan, and unbeatable growth opportunities, by joining Kiewit, you’re ensuring a lifetime of success.
This role will be based out of Kiewit’s Woodcliff Lake, NJ office.
• Lead civil design tasks, acting in responsible engineering in charge as needed
• Supervise, mentor and evaluate junior staff
• Oversee creation of surface models utilizing InRoads, Civil3D and/or other similar design software.
• Lead interdisciplinary design coordination to ensure that project elements are compatible
• Create preliminary design concepts and alternatives for highways and civil features to support cost estimating.
• Lead project technical meetings, provide coordination to resolve design issues
• Execute final design of project elements such as roadway geometrics, roadway design plans, signing and marking plans, maintenance of traffic plans, wall plan and profile sheets
• Provide a leadership role to use data driven design to make intelligent decisions on design solutions and process.
• Implement QA/QC procedures and support a culture of quality among the team and practice. This position includes participation on planning, directing, and monitoring all project management aspects in civil engineering tasks and projects for the team, and requires an understanding of project management principles, a commitment to quality, and dedication to client satisfaction and project delivery. The successful candidate will monitor emerging innovative solutions and market opportunities within the civil engineering practice while developing strategies to ensure Kiewit maintains our reputation as technical leaders in civil engineering.
• Duties of the position include planning and implementation of roadway, civil/site, drainage and utility, project management; participation in marketing and client development strategy; implementation and promotion of Kiewit technical solutions, project management tools, policies and procedures, and QA/QC program; staffing and performance management, and staff professional development. The position requires excellent communication skills, both written and oral, to proactively manage and respond to geospatial and information management needs from other technical practices within Kiewit.
• Additionally the position requires excellent interpersonal skills, used for personnel management, performance reviews, career development, and coordination of personnel resources as required by project needs.
• 7+ years of civil / highway design experience with an emphasis on design-build projects
• Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering is required
• Registered as a Professional Engineer
• Experience designing civil/highway infrastructure or similar projects in the Eastern US and nationally
• Working knowledge of MicroStation and/or AutoCAD platforms
• Experience developing construction plans for transportation projects is preferred
• Ability to effectively communicate, both verbally and in writing
• Comprehensive and practical understanding of the analysis and design of highways including application of innovative design solutions, robust understanding of applicable codes and standards, and intimate knowledge of modeling/analysis/design software used throughout the industry.
• Must have experience in preparation of civil and site design in an urban environment. Knowledge and experience in dealing with underground and overhead utilities and mitigation measures to alleviate interferences.
• Serve or have served in the past as a committee chair for a recognized transportation society or institute such as ASCE, TRB, DBIA, etc. preferred
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
Product Quality Assurance
Engineering Design Process