The Research and Experimentation ("R&E") Tax Credit Senior Consultant ("Senior Consultant") is responsible for assisting clients in identifying and claiming R&E [commonly known as Research and Development (R&D)] tax credits and then assisting the R&E Principal and Manager in defending those credits when necessary in the context of an audit by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) and/or state tax authorities. The work is project-based and sometimes requires spending time onsite at client facilities, working with engineers and technical personnel. This role includes performing and supervising tasks such as researching tax law, documenting expense treatment, and completing detailed models and calculations.
Duties and responsibilities, as they align to Ryan's Key Results
* Create a positive team experience.
* Assists Principal and Manager and/or Team Leader in preparing client presentations for proposals, planning strategies, and ideas.
* Assists Principal and Manager and/or Team/Leader in developing project work plans and scheduling associated project deliverables.
* Performs interviews of client engineering and technical personnel, and drafts or reviews detailed project interview reports.
* Responds to client requests and corresponds with clients to meet deliverables.
* Participates in meetings with client tax department personnel.
* Works with Federal Income Tax colleagues, as well as with International Tax colleagues, to assist on other tax matters where needed.
* Gathers, formats, and analyzes large volumes of accounting cost data; and creates large complex calculation databases using Microsoft® Excel and/or Microsoft® Access.
* Analyzes expenses for qualification under Section 174 and Section 41.
* Prepares and reviews R&E credit calculations and R&E deliverables.
* Performs other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience:
Bachelor's or Master's degree in Accounting and/or Finance, and/or Engineering or Science, and/or Juris Doctorate required with a minimum of two to four years of R&E tax credit experience required.
* Must have excellent organization and time management skills, strong communication skills, and willingness to learn and be a team player.
* Intermediate level knowledge of Microsoft® Word, Access, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook, as well as Internet navigation and legal/technical tax code research tools.
Certificates and Licenses:
Valid driver's license required.
This position requires supervisory responsibilities, including training peers and checking work for accuracy and completeness.
* Standard indoor working environment.
* Occasional long periods of sitting while working at computer.
* Occasional long periods of standing while copying.
* Position requires regular interaction with employees and clients both in person and via e-mail and telephone.
* Travel requirement: Up to 30 to 50%.
Equal Opportunity Employer: disability/veteran