Local Unit & Position Description
Our world is undergoing an energy transition. There is an immediate need for incorporation of more renewable energy resources into the electric grid and better utilization of existing ones. Energy storage is a key enabling technology of this transition. At DNV we are committed to supporting a fast evolving energy storage industry with the best data, advice, and expertise on the planet. We strive to fulfill our Vision of being a trusted voice to tackle global transformations, and we welcome you to be a part of it.
DNV's Storage and Grid Edge Intelligence (SAGE Intel) team is seeking a Senior Market Consultant to be focused on energy storage and hybrid (renewable plus storage) resource merchant market service offerings. The consultant will leverage their familiarity with and ongoing learnings related to merchant market services. Our customers are private equity investors, banks, Independent Power Producers (IPPs), project developers and electric utilities. The Consultant will work across utility scale, commercial and industrial (C&I) and residential markets for energy storage systems, hybrid systems, microgrids and distributed energy resources.
The Consultant will participate in various service offerings such as resource valuation, project cashflow studies, and overall project feasibility studies. This position will include responsibility for project leadership, inter-disciplinary business support, and business development. This position will also bring direct interactions with key industry stakeholders working on integrating energy storage and renewable generation towards development of the future electric grid.
This position will be based in our Chalfont, PA, Oakland, CA, Portland, OR office. However, other office locations or work from home will also be considered.
What You'll Do
- Serve as Subject Matter Expert for area(s) related to energy storage and hybrid plant merchant market participation
- Maintain an up-to-date catalog of merchant market services and regulations for all independent system operator (ISO) markets
- Actively participate in (in-person/remote) industry stakeholder meetings and stay up to date with assigned market changes
- Assist in incorporating and updating market rules within DNV's modeling tools
- Manage projects and/or project tasks and executing deliverables
- Model energy systems using DNV developed, self-built or Off The Shelf (OTS) software tools
- Manage daily interaction with customers in person or via phone or video
- Understand customer needs or gaps and offer technical solutions to cover those needs
- Analyze and interpret technical data and documents
- Summarize key results, and communicating and reporting these results in verbal and written form
- Lead or assist staff in the development of new business and projects
- Present aid in the development of presentation materials for conferences and workshops
- Lead or assist in the development of new proposals
- Provide input on strategic planning and marketing decisions
- Lead a team to deliver high-quality deliverables on time and on budget
What is Required
- Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering, Economics, Statistics, Finance, or related field
- Minimum 5 years of direct work experience in energy markets or renewable energy industry
- Capability to understand digital engineering models and perform engineering modeling to support technical or business decisions
- Candidates should have at least four (4) the following skills:
- Direct experience with electricity markets (ISO markets) and a working understanding of ISO market service offerings, market structures, and regulations
- Willingness to learn the workings of all ISO markets, and keeps up-to-date with market changes
- Familiarity with ISO manuals and regulatory filings and the ability to extract market rules from such documents
- Ability to translate market rules and regulations into algorithmic processes to be implemented in modeling toolsUnderstanding of energy storage project development, contracting, and/or procurement processes
- Experience with financial pro-forma modeling
- Experience with renewable energy systems modeling and/or energy storage systems modeling
- Strong skills with Microsoft Office Suite
- Strong ability to work in and contribute to project team(s)
- Ability to be customer-facing for project delivery and business development
- Strong interpersonal skills, customer interaction, and presentation skills
- An eye for detail and desire to deliver a quality work product
- Work within expected deadlines, while being flexible to changing scope or customer needs
- Strong written and verbal English communication skills
- Willingness and ability to travel up to 25% of the time
- We conduct pre-employment drug (USA) and background screening
What is preferred
- Master's degree or higher with coursework in energy market principles
- Direct working experience in one or more ISO or electric utility
- Experience with energy storage project design and development
- Broad knowledge of the electric industry including recent trends and history, awareness of regulatory proceedings and policies at both the state and national level.
- Business development or involvement in industry groups or committees
- Comfort with equipment common to the energy industry
- Comfort with interpreting, analyzing, and synthesizing data
- Working proficiency within a programming language such as Python or MATLAB
- Comfort with project management and/or successful completion of project management related trainings
How We Do It
We Care, We Dare, We Share
DNV is a proud equal opportunity employer committed to building an inclusive and diverse workforce. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit or business need, without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.
For more information about your rights under the law, see:
[ Link removed ] - Click here to apply to Senior Market Consultant more here:
Diversity at DNV
Meet our Employees
Careers in DNV
DNV is committed to ensuring equal employment opportunity, including providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with a disability. US applicants with a physical or mental disability who require a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process may contact the North America Recruitment department ([ Email address blocked ] - Click here to apply to Senior Market Consultant). Information received relating to accommodations will be addressed confidentially.
What We Offer
- Generous paid time off (vacation, sick days, company holidays, personal days)
- Multiple Medical and Dental benefit plans to choose from, Vision benefits
- Spending accounts – FSA, Dependent Care, Commuter Benefits, company-seeded HSA
- Special programs – Employee Assistance Program, ID theft protection, and accident and critical illness options for you and your family
- Employer-paid, therapist-led, virtual care services through Talkspace
- 401(k) with company match
- Company provided life insurance, short-term, and long-term disability benefits
- Tuition assistance
- Consumer discounts and rewards
- Flexible work schedule with hybrid/remote opportunities
- Advancement opportunities
**Benefits vary based on position, tenure, location, and employee election**
As required by the Colorado Equal Pay Transparency Act and New York City Salary Transparency Law, DNV provides a reasonable range of compensation for roles that may be hired in Colorado or New York City. Actual compensation is influenced by a wide array of factors including but not limited to skill set, level of experience, and specific office location. For the state of Colorado and New York City, NY only, the range of starting pay for this role is $100,000USD-140,000USD.
Please visit our website at www.dnv.com
Company & Business Area Description
DNV is the independent expert in assurance and risk management, operating in more than 100 countries. Through our broad experience and deep expertise we advance safety and sustainable performance, set industry benchmarks, and inspire and invent solutions.
We provide assurance to the entire energy value chain through our advisory, monitoring, verification, and certification services. As the world's leading resource of independent energy experts and technical advisors, we help industries and governments to navigate the many complex, interrelated transitions taking place globally and regionally, in the energy industry. We are committed to realizing the goals of the Paris Agreement, and support all stakeholders to transition faster to a deeply decarbonized energy system.
- Attention To Detail
- Business Development
- Business Support Systems
- Contract Management