To begin the application process, please enter your email address.
Company Contact Info
University of Santa Barbara
Santa Barbara, CA 93106
Sorry, we cannot save or unsave this job right now.
Report this Job
Saving Your Job Alert
Job Alert Saved!
Could not save Job Alert!
You have too many Job Alerts!
This email address has reached the maximum of 5 email alerts. To create a new alert, you will need to log into your email and unsubscribe from at least one.
Email Send Failed!
Marine Spatial Ecologist
CSS, Inc. • Santa Barbara, CA
Posted 21 days ago
Get facts about other applicants with a CareerBuilder Account
CSS, Inc. is seeking a Spatial Ecologist to join the Marine Spatial Ecology Division, an interdisciplinary science team at the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration’s (NOAA) National Centers for Coastal Ocean Science (NCCOS). The Branch specializes in ecological studies that map, characterize, assess, and model the spatial distributions and movements of estuarine and marine organisms across habitats throughout the United States and Island Territories. To be considered for employment, applicants should come from a background in marine-related science (biology, zoology, oceanography, ecology, geology, environmental science) or spatial analysis (geospatial information sciences, spatial statistics and predictive modeling). The successful candidate must have strong statistical data analysis, spatial predictive modeling and computer programming skills, able to work at-sea on research vessels and have existing connections to marine science institutions and organizations on U.S. west CONUS coast and/or Pacific.
- Provide spatial data analysis and statistical modeling support for ecological assessments and habitat mapping.
- Generate spatial analytical products to meet marine management informational needs
- Develop statistical models and predictions denoting the distribution of marine organisms
- Design and implement statistical sampling frameworks in situ
- Assist with at-sea field research.
- Participate in field research on small and large research vessels, multiple times per year
- Collaborate and engage with regional partners.
- Work collaboratively with interdisciplinary set of partners on U.S. west CONUS coast and Pacific
- Produce technical reports, peer-reviewed publications and other outreach materials
- Write proposals with direct management applications in response to partner needs
- Background in marine sciences and statistical analysis
- MS degree or higher in a marine science related field (biology, zoology, oceanography, ecology, geology, environmental science) and 1-5 years of experience in spatial analysis
- OR MS degree or higher in a spatial analysis related field (spatial statistics, spatial modeling, remote sensing, geospatial information sciences) and 1-5 years of experience in marine science research
- Ability to conduct field work in marine environments
- Have demonstrated seaworthiness and be able to pass a standard swim test
- Able to learn quickly, work with a team or independently, and strong problem solving skills
- Excellent communication skills and proven ability to collaborate effectively
- Able to effectively work collaboratively and/or independently on multiple projects
- Have excellent written and oral communication skills and a keen attention to detail
CSS, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer, all qualified applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. Please upload your resume and cover letter along with your online application.