VIDEO INTERVIEW REQUIRED
To be considered for next steps in the interview process, we require all Medical Assistant applicants for positions in our Ambulatory Departments to introduce themselves to us with a digital video interview. (Applicants that are current employees of Connecticut Children's do not need to complete a video interview.) Please complete your application, and then return to this page to complete your digital video interview.
Click Here to take the first step in your interview process with us, now!
Under the direct supervision of the Practice Manager and /or Registered Nurse (RN), performs a variety of administrative, clinical, departmental support, and documentation duties to promote the health, safety, and comfort of CT Children's patients and families.
A Medical Assistant (MA) may be required to perform any or all of the following fundamental
Documentation, Administrative, Clinical, and Department Support functions:
* Supports the patient check-in and check-out processes.
* Scheduling and coordinating all patient appointments.
* Answering and directing calls.
* Process pre-authorizations and pre-certifications.
* Prepare and files medical record.
* Provides cross coverage for other administrative roles.
* Maintains clinical files according to organization/department protocol.
* Processes patient related correspondence.
* Maintains confidentiality of patient information.
* Ensures efficient patient flow.
* Prepares treatment rooms and equipment for patient examinations.
* Provides appropriate procedural support following department specific guidelines.
* Performs initial intake of patient, up to and including: Interviews patient and family to obtain chief
complaint/reason for visit, vital signs, and allergy information. Accurately records and/or updates relevant patient information.
* Performs daily Quality Controls (QC) for all Point of Care (POC) testing.
* Obtain specimens, accurately performs and records patient POC testing per policy.
* Under provider and/or RN direction, performs tracking and retrieval of patient lab/diagnostic testing results
to facilitate timely provider review and follow-up.
* Under provider and/or RN direction, performs the administrative functions of the patient prescription
renewal process in accordance to policy.
* Provides cross coverage for other appropriate clinical roles.
* Provide support as needed for departmental medical record audits.
* Cleans and stocks patient care rooms between patients.
* Maintains appropriate inventories of all medical supplies.
* Stocks and maintains all patient related forms and educational materials.
* Utilizes equipment appropriately and notifies Practice Manager in a timely fashion of equipment/facility
break-down or damage.
* Documentation is legible and falls within the appropriate MA scope/Organizational documentation
* Accurately documents patient information on appropriate forms. Demonstrates accuracy in basic data entry
and data retrieval of paper/electronic patient records.
OTHER RELATED ACTIVITES
* Performs other duties as may be assigned to promote the health, safety and comfort of CT Children's
patients and families.
* Ability to travel to satellite locations may be required.
* Demonstrates knowledge of the age-related differences and needs of patients in appropriate, specific
populations form neonate through adolescence and applies them to practice. Demonstrates cultural
sensitivity in all interactions with patients/families.
* Demonstrates an awareness of safety needs and a basic knowledge of medical terminology, infection
control, risk management, and environment of care policies.
* Asks questions, clarifications, and assistance when needed and in situations that fall outside of the MA
scope of practice.
* Demonstrates support for the mission, vision, values, and goals of the organization through behaviors that are consistent with CT Children's standards.
* Basic Understanding of CT Children's Policies and Procedures.
* Understanding of the organization's environment of care.
Those Medical Assistants hired as a "float" or exclusively for the satellites must demonstrate flexibility and knowledge of documentation/procedures/workflow in the various departments to maximally support the patient experience.
* High School Diploma, GED, or a higher level of education that would require the completion of high school, is required.
* Completion of medical assistant training program accredited by an accrediting body approved by the American Association for Medical Assistants or American Medical Technologists (or completion of equivalent course of study provided by the military) required; if formal training program was not completed, then certification as a Registered Medical Assistant (RMA) granted by the American Medical Technologists is required.
Completion of a Certified Nursing Assistant training program is required.
* Bilingual (English/Spanish) preferred.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
Basic knowledge of Medical Terminology and basic math and measurements
Bilingual (English/Spanish) preferred.
Basic literacy and proficiency in computers, Microsoft Office applications, Practice Management System(s), and Electronic Health Record Systems (E.H.R.).
Excellent interpersonal, phone, customer service, problem-solving, and communication skills.
Effective oral and written communication in English, demonstrating a command of basic grammar and spelling.
Understand and follow specific written and verbal instructions and procedures.
Learn and demonstrate competency in standard clinical procedures within specialty area, according to established protocols.
Maintain quality, safety, and/or infection control standards.
Learn and follow established protocols in order to initiate appropriate action in emergency/crisis situations.
Learn and demonstrate competency in basic data entry/data retrieval in paper/electronic patient records.
Effectively work in a team environment as well as collaboratively with all disciplines.
Special Consideration/Requirement for all SCAN OVS Grant Associated Team Members:
Ability to successfully pass the required background checks that will be conducted every 5 years.
Working in a clinical setting to include rooming patients, taking vitals, cleaning and restocking exam rooms. Also Office setting environment to answer phones, etc.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled
Product Quality Assurance