This role is responsible for the overall repair of various types of railcars. This role is required to be certified to perform various types of welds on railcars.
ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Successfully complete, perform, and maintain the Mechanical Railcar Repair Technician job functions.
• Contributes to team effort by accomplishing related results as needed.
• Meet the requirements and pass CFRS’ welding procedures (3/4" plate - all position FCAW). Qualification consists of successfully passing FCAW T2 thickness – all position.
• Knowledge of AAR Job Codes and associated data field requirements.
• Properly use AAR Rule 1 and various inspection gages.
• Perform trouble-shooting diagnostics at customer locations based on defect symptoms reported
• NDE qualified based on operational needs (BT,VT,PT,MP,RVI,UTT)
• Documented training to set up and operate or drive equipment such as, but not limited to: forklift, man lift, crane, back hoe, skid loader, hoist or hydraulic boom.
• Wear PPE in appropriate areas
QUALIFICATIONS AND EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS
• High school diploma or General Education Degree (GED)
• Successfully pass the following courses with an 80% or higher score coordinated by CF Rail Management:
• AAR Interchange Rules
• Freight Car Inspection Overview
• Basics of Railroad Wheels
• FRA Railroad Safety Appliance Standards (Condensed Course) Coupler & Draft Systems course
• Guide to Freight Car Trucks course
• Body and Truck Side Bearing Gaging and Adjustment Course
• Proficient in Microsoft Office Suit and BRC generation software/ shop operating system.
• Ability to deliver high level of customer service via phone and face to face interaction.
• Team player
• Effective listening skills
• Highly effective communication skills verbally and in writing
Work assignments involve standing, stooping, bending, kneeling, reaching, climbing, crawling, and crouching in strained and awkward positions for prolonged periods of time at various heights up to 20 feet. Uses hands, legs, and arms to climb vertical ladders to staging or suspended platforms. Lifts, carries, and sets up equipment and components that weigh up to 50 lbs. Employee must be medically certified to wear a respirator, as well as be able to wear respirators for prolonged periods of time. Other abilities include:
• Ability to operate welding equipment
• Ability to operate electrical and pneumatic tools
• Ability to operate heavy equipment (Cranes, Jacks)
• Ability to operate Forklifts, Mobile Service Trucks, Boom Lifts
Work will be performed outdoors and indoors in all types of weather, on and around heavy equipment.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Veterans/Disabled