Responsible for assisting with the day-to-day operations of the classroom(s) in the Oakland Family Services Children’s Learning Center. The Child Care Assistant will provide physical care and implement developmentally appropriate activities with the children. This position reports to the Early Childhood Education Site Supervisor. The following represents a summary of the primary tasks performed by incumbents in this position.
Specific Duties/Job Expectations
• Assist in implementing developmentally appropriate activities based on the High/Scope Approach.
• Maintain standards of quality in the classroom as required by State licensure and accreditation.
• Assist in supervising and ensuring the safety and well-being of each child.
• Assist in maintaining the arrangement, appearance and learning environment.
• Assist in anecdotal observations of children.
• Assist in maintaining accurate child related records.
• Complete necessary center and agency paperwork in a timely and accurate manner.
• Communicate positively and professionally with parents.
• Provide classroom coverage in the absence of the lead and assistant teachers.
• Other duties as assigned.
While performing the duties of the job, the employee is regularly required to be physical and capable of successfully managing an early learning environment. The employee is frequently required to sit and/or stand for 8 hours or more. Staff must have the ability to reach with hands and arms and must occasionally lift and move up to 25 pounds.
• High school diploma or equivalent necessary; experience toward Child Development Associate (CDA) preferred.
• Experience working with young children specifically, 12 months through 8 years old.
• Must demonstrate knowledge related to child development and the High/Scope Approach or be willing to learn and implement.
• Good organizational and social skills.
• Must show sensitivity to the needs of a culturally diverse population.
• Any standard above may be waived when compensating specifications or circumstances exist.
• Special abilities and skills necessary to perform the required tasks and that best meet the needs of the Agency also will be considered.
Oakland Family Services is an Equal Opportunity Employer