I. Position Summary:
Supervise technicians on the assigned shift. Conduct training and competency testing as assigned by the Technician Supervisor or Pharmacy Department Educator. Assist in coordinating and carrying out all technical functions in the daily routine of the pharmacy department involving the packaging, procurement, and distribution of all drugs guaranteeing quality patient care.
II. Position Relationships:
A. Responsible to: Pharmacy Technician Supervisor, the
Pharmacists, Pharmacy Managers
And Director of Pharmacy
B. Workers Supervised: Pharmacy Technicians and Tech Trainees
C. Interrelationships: Pharmacy staff, nursing staff, other MCH departments, and outside pharmacies
III. Responsibilities and Authorities:
Responsible for the daily supervision of pharmacy technicians on the assigned shift. Assign technician duties as needed during the day and verify of all tasks assigned to the shift are completed. Assist in any area where workflow and staffing is needed. Assure that technicians are performing duties as assigned. Assure that technicians are properly trained for the duties performed.
B. Work Performed:
1. Performs other duties as assigned by the department's management staff.
2. As patient care and/or Hospital need dictates, both the assigned shift
and work station may be changed by the department.
A. Participates in and promotes the "I CARE Advantage" service philosophy of Integrity, Customer Centered, Accountability, Respect, and Excellence.
4. Participate in the evaluation of technicians.
5. Maintains Competency in technician essential job functions which includes but is not limited to the following:
* Fill new medication orders
* Mix IV solutions
* Complete monthly floor stock inspections
* Charge and credit IV and Unit Dose drugs
* Drug and IV delivery to nursing stations and other departments
* Fill floor stock requisitions
* Maintain perpetual inventories
6. Oversee borrow/loan process on the assigned shift.
7. Responsible for scheduling of the assigned shift in coordination with the technician supervisor and all work assignments of all employees supervised.
8. Sees to the required orientation of all technician staff on the assigned shift.
9. Maintain up to date knowledge on pharmacy technician role
10. Organize shift objectives to promote institutional values and goals
11. Leadership – reflects professional attitude and work ethic through attendance, appearance, and behavior
12. Demonstrates an ability to communicate effectively and express ideas clearly
13. Actively listens and follows appropriate channels of communication
IV. Performance Factors Used to Evaluate Employee:
A. Demonstrate complete knowledge of position responsibility.
B. Ability to mediate uncomfortable situations.
C. Ability to perform duties with minimal supervision.
D. Completes assignments quickly and efficiently.
E. Ability to be objective and fair in the oversight of technical staff.
F. Ability to assess daily work flow and make quick adjustments as needed.
G. Ability to hold technicians accountable for their duties.
High school graduate or equivalent, Current Certified Texas Pharmacy Technician Registration
B. Training and Experience:
Ability to perform pharmacy dosing math problems, At least 2 years' experience as a pharmacy technician in a hospital setting.
C. Job Knowledge:
Good understanding of hospital and departmental policies/procedures,
some knowledge of management principles, and ability to work
well with people.
VI. Unusual Physical Demands and Working Conditions:
A. Must be able to stand and walk for long periods, and work at times under stress
B. Must be able to lift and carry weights up to twenty-five pounds
C. May be exposed to drugs and chemicals, some of which may be
carcinogenic (cancer causing) or allergenic (allergy causing)
Packaging And Labeling