Covestro is seeking to hire an experienced Sr. Electrical Engineer to help support our facilities in OH, WV, PA, and MA.
The primary responsibility of this role is to design and implement electrical power systems for chemical manufacturing facilities and provide engineering and leadership services for the preparation and execution of electrical capital investment projects.
The incumbent will:
* Apply electrical engineering expertise and state-of-the-art technologies for electrical capital investment projects;
* Provide technical oversight and mentorship for less experienced engineers within the Process Control Technology (PCT) organization;
* Lead electrical project teams during all phases of capital investment projects including concept development, estimating, basic engineering, detailed engineering and design, procurement, construction, and start-up of new or modified production facilities;
* Follow practices, standards, guidelines, and procedures for preparation of estimates, scopes, specifications, design, and other deliverables;
* Responsible for all electrical aspects of engineering to ensure all project objectives including safety, technical correctness, budget, constructability, schedule, maintainability, and operability are met;
* Interface with other engineering disciplines/departments, customers and vendors/suppliers to ensure successful development and execution of projects;
* Generate, review and approve electrical specifications, drawings and other documentation; assist in compiling construction packages;
* Coordinate field support, and participate in check out, commissioning and start up;
* Modify existing or create new electrical procedures, standards and practices to stay current with technology and implement improved methods.
- Develops strategies for electrical power distribution systems in conjunction with distributed control systems and programmable logic controllers with minimum oversight.
- Directs teams to analyze and define electrical requirements and to perform design of power distribution systems.
- Participate in all preliminary and process safety reviews with particular emphasis on electrical systems and equipment, interlocking, alarming, safety systems, etc.
- Directs designers, contractors, vendors, and technicians from conceptual design through construction and commissioning of power distribution systems.
- Generate all hardware and software documentation required to procure, configure, test, install and maintain the electrical systems.
- Interfaces with other engineering disciplines, designers, operations, and maintenance personnel as necessary to achieve project objectives.
- Responsible for cost and schedule within assigned area of responsibility.
This position is responsible for all electrical requirements for assigned projects. He/she provides necessary detail electrical engineering plus directs activities of others involved with realizing electrical strategies.
Key parameters of performance include schedule compliance, scope compliance, and cost control.
The incumbent is involved in problem solving decisions on a daily basis. Major areas are:
- Develops alternative solutions to problems, handles complex problems independently.
- Demonstrates strong technical expertise and ability to adapt to changing circumstances.
- Displays flexibility with assignments in different units/plants.
- Applies new technology.
- Properly applies standards and guidelines especially related to electrical documentation, configuration conventions, and testing.
- Identifies customer's requirements and negotiation of the best cost/benefit solution.
- Enforces standards and policies/procedures and submitting deviations when required.
- Performs special studies to evaluate new equipment or engineering tools for the project or PCT department.
Fully qualified professional:
- Provides consistent application of technical knowledge.
- Leads projects of larger scope (or portions of projects) and is often called upon by peers for guidance.
- Coaches and teaches junior members of the department and provides input to performance evaluations.
- Makes independent decisions within defined areas of responsibility.
- Serves as a consultant to management within a specified area/discipline.
- Advances technical project proposals to senior management, following through to successful completion.
- Influences commitment of resources at divisional/departmental level.
Leadership and Integration/Relationship:
- Interacts regularly with senior technical peers and colleagues.
- Sets levels of technical performance for others to emulate.
- Develops network of external contacts appropriate to job.
- Performs assignments in more than one location.
- Formulates and manages own career path.
- Reports administratively to the Project Engineering PCT Lead or assigned designate.
- Reports functionally for large projects to the PCT lead engineer or to the respective Project Manager.
- Can be functionally responsible for other direct and/or contract engineers, designers, or programmers as a project or assignment related activity. Participation in special committees and study groups both at the plant level and corporate level may be assigned to the incumbent.
- Works closely with project engineers, process engineers, mechanical and piping engineers, PCT area engineers, and production personnel. Technical assistance is provided to the construction department and a presence in the field during construction and commissioning activities may be necessary.
- Bachelor's Degree in Electrical Engineering and 6 years of experience in power distribution systems.
Master's Degree in Electrical Engineering with 4 years of experience in power distribution systems.
PhD in Electrical Engineering with 2 years of experience in power distribution systems.
- Bachelor of Science degree from an accredited university (or equivalent) in Electrical engineering with strong interest in power distribution systems;
- Six and more years minimum experience in chemical, petro-chemical or industrial facilities in electrical design and engineering or equivalent experience;
- Excellent knowledge of low/medium/high voltage electrical systems, including protective relaying, arc fault and short circuit analysis, load studies, switchgear, transformers, motor control centers, emergency generators, UPS's and variable frequency drives;
- Excellent knowledge of relevant national and international standards in the area of electrical distribution low/medium/high voltage (i.e. NEC, IEC, etc.);
- Knowledge of process control strategies and systems; instrumentation; safety systems and industrial control networks;
- Strong computer hardware and software skills, proficient in SKM or ETAP software for load flow, short circuit and coordination studies;
- Knowledge of project control skills including project planning, scheduling, cost control, and contract development;
- Professional registration and/or certification as required.
- Experience in providing field support and participating in check out, commissioning, and start-up of electrical installations;
- Systematic approach to problem definition and solution development;
- Ability to work as a member of cross-functional teams and to participate in multiple projects simultaneously;
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills to deal with people at different levels of management, engineering and design, and with internal customers (e.g. engineering, maintenance, operations) and suppliers of electrical material and services;
- Excellent verbal and written skills in order to communicate with and obtain cooperation from team members involved with engineering, design, check out, commissioning and start-up. Demonstrated ability to write comprehensive technical and scope documents required for project execution;
- Willingness and ability to travel 20-40% of time when job assignment dictates;
- Willingness and ability to work additional hours when job assignment dictates;
- Willing to pursue advanced education (i.e. Master's Degree); other certifications, and training when job assignment dictates.
Creo Elements/Pro (Computer Aided Design Software)